Sunday, July 26, 2009

What I Would Want You To Know

Early Saturday morning, Beloved Husband baked a couple of cakes. Before 11:00, he took them to the church. The Benevolence Committee took them, and dozens of other dishes, to set out for the family. The funeral was at 1:00, and our church provides a meal for the family each time.

It’s a small offering we give to the family to let them know there is support and prayer as they go through grieving their loss. Just a simple service each of us can perform to acknowledge their loss and our support.

This couple had been married 62 years. Would soon have celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary. Instead, we celebrated her life, and her home going.

Based on her health, they had prepared an obituary, and had written a short history to share with family and friends. It did not address what we knew as their love and care, for these last years she had been confined to a wheelchair, and he had cared for her physically as well as with his heart.

The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. (Proverbs 31:11-12 KJV)

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. (Proverbs 31:28 KJV)


It was the virtuous woman, priced above rubies, that our pastor used in scriptures for her service. And, did so appropriately.

The music spoke of eventual reunion: “Shall We Gather At The River” And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. (Revelation 22:1 KJV)

She answered Christ’s question in John 6:67 just as Peter did, as we all do who love Him and follow:

Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. (John 6:68-69 KJV)

So, I’m looking at what I would say to those who attend my funeral. What would I want you to know above all else? This:

Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever! For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: (Job 19:23-26 KJV)

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. (John 14:28 KJV)

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:8 KJV)

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Corinthians 13:12 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)