Friday, July 24, 2009

Choices

The MSNBC article “Downturn Spurs Latinos To Leave” confirms that many people are not coming to the United States because they want to be here, they are afraid of the alternative.

Some church members are in the same boat.

Some people are afraid of hell, so they turn to the church to keep them from going there. But, feel the rules and regulations hem them in and are not providing the life they seek. That’s understandable.

Christ is not the way to stay away from hell. Instead, He said:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. (John 6:47 KJV)


Those are very positive statements that tell us that Christ is the way to everlasting life. We’re also told that it is an abundant life:

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. (John 10:10 KJV)

His words caused arguments then, just as they cause arguments now:

And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him? Others said, These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind? (John 10:20-21 KJV)

An atheist stated, “I deny the 'possible existence of God.' I do not have to prove that I am right; however, if you believe that I am wrong then prove it!” as though it is up to a Christian to prove God exists. Sorry, that’s not how it works.

Perhaps I’ve missed something, but as I read God’s commandments, it is not the responsibility of any believer to prove anything to another person. It never has been our responsibility to do more than Ezekiel’s watchman:

Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul. (Ezekiel 33:9 KJV)

Back to the original paragraph, I would say to the “Latino” as I would to the atheist – come, learn what it is to be at home and content. Paul found how to do so, and it is open to all of us.

…: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. (Philippians 4:11 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)