Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I know it sounds like a commercial, but it's free!!!

I’ve spoken of my Bibles before. I have several, for several different reasons. Each one is my "favorite" for a variety of reasons. But the one I use the most is "The Sword of the Lord with an electronic edge", available from e-sword.net.

freely ye have received, freely give. (Matthew 10:8b)

That’s what Rick Meyers says about giving away his time, effort and a powerful program for Bible study. Which reminds me of what Luke said of Peter:

Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: (Acts 3:6)

The recipient of Peter’s gift responded immediately:

And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God. (Acts 3:8)

How many of us are that joyous over God’s gifts? At the very least, I want to praise Him for the gift of His word. The Bible tells us what it is, and what it does:

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (Ephesians 6:17)

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

I can’t quote as much of it as I used to. Some loss of synapse I suppose. Each Sunday night, children quote scriptures they’ve learned. A recent Sunday, one of my Junior High Sunday School girls quoted Proverbs 31:10-31. A beautiful portrait of a successful woman.
Can you? I could from the time I was fifteen. Today I can get started, but I know I cannot recite it completely without help. I also memorized the thirteenth chapter of First Corinthians. It contains one of my most favorite promises:

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Corinthians 13:12)

What e-Sword does for me is allow me to search easily and quickly for the words familiar to me from the full scriptures I’ve known and loved. Oh, I know their meaning, and I can tell you that we see but a dim reflection of what God has in store for us, and that one day He’ll tell us all. But, what I say is if no importance – what the Bible says is.

It’s free – and many of the translations are, too. Those remaining under copyright are not, but to me that’s of no importance since the King James version comes in the initial download. Wanting to study another language? Add that version, too. It’s simple to switch back and forth. Need a Bible dictionary? There are free ones there, too. How about a commentary? Maps? All freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)