Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fly With Me

It seems as though my favorite hymns are based on scriptures:

Some glad morning when this life is over, I'll fly away
To that home on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away
Refrain:
I'll fly away oh glory
I'll fly away (in the morning)
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away

And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. (Psalms 55:6 KJV)

David wrote this when he needed God close to him:

Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication. Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise; (Psalms 55:1-2 KJV)

It was as though he had no hope, that he was reaching out for God, but could not feel Him:

Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me. (Psalms 55:5 KJV)

Those things cannot be when we are in God’s will and He is directing our paths. When we are not and we have left His side, we know it, even as David did, and knew how to fix it:

As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me. (Psalms 55:16 KJV)

The process includes:

Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. (Psalms 55:22 KJV)

But we keep those burdens. We hold on to them, groom them, nurture them and they grow so big that we think God cannot possible handle them. Well, forget that, He can:

Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee: (Jeremiah 32:17 KJV)

Forget that and carry those burdens forever, alone, tired and without hope. Not me. I may carry a few for a bit because self-pity that I’ve become used to, but there’s no reason to make carrying those burdens my life’s work. I’ve answered Christ’s call:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30 KJV)

Hey!!! That’s another of my favorite hymns!!!

Hear the blessed Savior calling the oppressed,
“Oh, ye heavy-laden, come to Me and rest;
Come, no longer tarry, I your load will bear,
Bring Me every burden, bring Me every care.”
Refrain:
Come unto Me, I will give you rest;
Take My yoke upon you, hear Me and be blest;
I am meek and lowly, come and trust My might;
Come, My yoke is easy, and My burden’s light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)