Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Comfort

There are times when Christians do not jump out of their beds in the morning praising God and looking forward to a wonderful day.

Oh, the praising God part is easy. It’s the wonderful day that sometimes gets us down. Especially when we’re dragging ourselves out of bed when we don’t want to. How much simpler it would be just to drag the covers up over our ears and ignore the calls of the … well, the things that must be done.

It would be so much simpler to stay there and thank God for the things He’s done for us in the past, count those many blessings that we’ve come to appreciate so much. Instead, creaking joints and upset digestive systems must be attended to, and the lesser sins of the day addressed.

How I wanted to stay in this morning!! There appears to be a virus going around (yes, I’m grateful it’s not H1N1) and decided to visit with me for a couple of days. Not debilitating, but minor miseries.

It’s the time to look for Southern comfort food, but the best comfort comes from the Bible. In the midst of the 23rd Psalm:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. (Psalms 23:4 KJV)

I doubt I shall see greatness as David, but I do know this comfort:

Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side. (Psalms 71:21 KJV)

That marvelous acrostic that makes up the 119th Psalm:

ZAIN. Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope. This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me. (Psalms 119:49-50 KJV)

His word promises us comfort, and we pray for it:

Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to thy word unto thy servant. (Psalms 119:76 KJV)

Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. (Isaiah 40:1 KJV)


This comfort also provides hope:

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (Romans 15:4 KJV)

It is John, though, who speaks most often of the Comforter. Not just Christ, but another. The same, yet different:

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (John 14:16 KJV)

He is with us forever, and reminds us of God’s word and workings in our lives:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)