Speaking aloud of our love for God and thankful for what He has done for us does not come easily for most. We sit in church and see others speak clearly and understandably, and think "How do they do that?" At times I've wondered if I could get through by sharing an old ear horn and making people listen to me. It's not too difficult, though, when you start with the people closest to you. Let's look at some examples. I'll pick and choose here, but you can pick and choose among any Bible story you want. Since we are talking about becoming a Christian, I we can start with the New Testament.
Peter is usually mentioned as being the first called, but there are these verses:
Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou? He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour. One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ. And he brought him to Jesus. (John 1:38-42a)
The other lists in the gospels begin with Peter, bold, outspoken Peter - but it's Andrew who first brought his interest in Christ to his brother. Andew listened to John (the Baptist) and didn't hesitate to speak to Jesus. Andrew first found his brother and Peter went with him to see Jesus.
In our own family, one of my children spent a good deal of time with a sibling who questioned whether or not Christianity was worth the time and effort. He didn't understand the Trinity - how could there be three separate people at Jesus' baptism - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
I'll address that question (that many people have) in another blog let stick with - speak with a family member. They may not listen well the firsts time around, but know that new Christians have the Holy Spirit's help:
And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say. (Luke 12:11-12)
The previous verses show Jesus telling the disciples how difficult like will be if they choose to follow Him. The conversation began in a large crowd that wasn't listening, so Jesus turned and spoke directly to His disciples. Lesson: even in a crowd, focus on the people you want to hear.
Paul gave us a good example in an open area in Athens still called Mars Hill, also known as Aeropagus, a prominent rock outcropping located northwest of the Acropolis in Athens, Greece. In ancient times, it served as the meeting place for the Areopagite Council, a significant judicial and legislative body in Athens, which gathered crowed of citizens:
Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. (Acts 17:22-23)
Does that sound a bit unusual to you? A foreigner telling Greeks they were superstitious, ignorantly worshipping, and defining the unknown god? Not even I would suggest anyone starting that way - but it worked because Paul knew his audience. He knew Greeks were inquisitive by culture, education was sought by Greeks, and their language had covered the known world for over a couple of hundred years. People listened, came back for more, and some believed.
Philip's is a story none of us can expect to happen - but it not only did, he handled it quite well:
And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. (Acts 8:26)
I have not heard a single person tell me that an "angel of the Lord spoke" to them, but I've heard many say that the Holy Spirit has led them. Our own Assistant Pastor is on the road today in response to a call from another church to be their pastor. He and his family did spend time in prayer and have no doubt that is where they are led to serve. Philip responded to:
And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. (Acts 8:27-29)
Our church heard a witnessing to a similar incident. He was stopped along a highway. Our Assistant Pastor (also named Philip) was the only car that stopped, and Philip offered to help. Not an unusual situation for a white man to stop and assist a Black man, but our Philip invited the gentleman to church. I heard this story as that gentleman made a public statement about it to thank our Philip.
I wrote "
Send A Philip" last month. I didn't know at the time that the Holy Spirit would be sending our Philip, and his family, but it was so timely as I was being led to return to this blog. It's not a source of income, I do not advertise, I have not one thing for sell here. My only hope is the individual that needs to know about God's plan for them finds a clue here. I listened years ago and wrote. I know I need to continue. Will you read and listen?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)