Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. (John 16:7, KJV)
The other day I posted verses. Today a new thought came from them. That happens a lot when we read Scripture with prayers to see what God has to tell us. Earlier I was thinking of the Holy Spirit and about both the just and the unjust who can have the same experiences of good and bad.
Today I was struck by: or if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you;
Jesus had a choice. He has the same human choice all people face - faith that God can do what He promised and follow instructions, or do as you please.
We think of Jesus as being tempted once and coming through a test. That is not humanly possible. We are tempted daily. You and I both know that. Simple things, like bread. That's what Satan used first with Jesus:
And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered. And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread. And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. (Luke 4:1-4)
How simple that would have been for the man who fed thousands with a few loves and fish to have bread in an instant. But He used what we should when we are tempted - scripture. That "every word of God" should be very important to us, but do not take things out of context. God will never ask that we break His commandments in order to follow His words. Question what we read, prayerfully and keeping in mind that God has given us a Comforter.
How can you - or I - use scripture if we don't know it? How do we get to know it? By reading it every day and memorizing when we can. The more time we spend with scripture, the more we read, question, prayer about, and eventually understand what God has in there that we've missed before.
I use e-Sword on my phone and on my computer more than I do a printed Bible. I find it extremely handy and helps me search for scripture when I am only certain about a word or two. It allows me to highlight and take notes, just as the printed Bible does, but it is easier to search in for specific words or phrases.
For example - where Jesus gives the most important law. I love those verses and can remember one phrase used there "second like unto" so I search for all three of those words, which only occur in one verse. But it takes four verses to get the gist, and it takes knowing the Ten Commandments to know why those two are the most important. The Bible is always more important than a single verse. Context is absolutely necessary in seeing beyond tradition and teaching errors.
It takes the whole Bible - from Genesis to Revelation to see why Jesus had to die - God has given His life story through prophets from Genesis forward. If Jesus took Satan's offer, what would happen? Frankly, heaven only knows. "If" truly is an illusion that never does occur when God's plan is followed.
Who better to follow it then the human God created specifically for the purpose, in whom the Holy Spirit dwelled. Where was the Spirit between calvary and Pentecost? We can't know, and it makes no difference in our instructions.
Until His return, His disciples were told what to do:
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. (Acts 1:8, KJV)
When we believe on Him we make a public profession of faith. At Pentecost, believers were given the Holy Spirit for the first time. It no longer comes with "tongues of fire," but we are still to be witnesses unto Jesus both at home and into the uttermost.
How is your witnessing?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)