I've written about Paul before. I've been reading some social media posts that are not hopeful. fortunately, I'm sufficiently familiar with Bible stories the give examples of why I continue to believe:
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1, KJV)
Not an eye witness to biblical events, I can have faith in their validity. No one can prove the historical events did not happen, plus archeology continues to confirm history contained in the Hebrew Tanakh. Judaism retained belief for hundreds of centuries following Moses' leading Israelites out of Egypt, back to land they had grazed through generations until the moved to Egypt.
Judaism had divisions when Christ was born, just as they, Christianity, and Islam do today. Scholars, who while disagreeing on some doctrine, believed in a singular deity, just as today.
Paul was such a scholar. As a student under a member of the Sanhedrin, he was zealous in defending their faith to the point of seeing Jesus' followers (not yet called Christians) in prison or dead.
What changed Paul?
He never denied his own religion. Israel's being the focus of God's interaction with mankind remained the foundation. Jews were looking for action from God. The land promised to them had passed through many hands and they wanted it back. Scriptures promised there would be a future for the Jewish people and the timing was just about right for the promised one.
Paul had studied all those scriptures in Jerusalem, the center of Judaism and Jewish culture. The High Priest conducted ceremonial offering just as they had been done as Aaron did in the Tabernacle, only Paul saw them done in the third - and so far last - temple. Paul took pride in being a Jew, a Pharisee, and being taught by Gamaliel:
I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day. And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women. (Acts 22:3-4)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)