Every time I pray for help in writing this blog, words flow. When I try to do it on my own, I have writers block like a train tunnel bricked up at both ends. There is no light at all in that particular tunnel.
From the beginning of the Bible to the very last chapter, there are examples of people - all kinds of people, rich, poor, smart, dumb, old young, Jew, and gentile - all prayed directly to God. Priests were available, not required until the Mosaid law, and I only found one instance where I have questions about that:
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. (Matthew 19:6-8)
In this, and a couple of other instances, I'd like to have the answer. But, I know I have to "know as also I am known", as Paul wrote. So I will wait upon that particular answer and stick to ones not ambiguous.
Best examples are the good things done in the Bible that worked well - and talking with God is outstanding. Priests handled sacrifices, prophets spoke to the people, but everyone had the opportunity to speak to God, and answers were available. Why do we often ignore that today?
Be careful when you start studying pray/prayer(s)/prayerfulness - there are over 450 matches in the King James Version. ESV has 321 (Hmmm. How about that?) ASV has 515. DRB has 505. No matter which version of the Bible you choose to study (I personally use more than one), it will take time to reach a personal conclusion regarding your own prayer life.
Jesus taught us a prayer - but we do not have to follow each and every word to reach Him. Matthew's (6:9-13) is longer and more familiar, given as part of the Sermon on the Mount. It includes phrases like "on earth as it is in heaven" and concludes with deliverance from the evil one. Luke's (11:2-4) is shorter and more concise, given in response to a follower's request. It uses the word "sins" instead of "debts".
Never in the Old or New Testaments is there a reason given to pray to a person here on earth in order to have our prayers reach God. Often, when someone asks for prayers in support, I will send them this:
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:26-28)
Or:
Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:14-16)
God Himself hears our prayers. We are saints (do not doubt that) and our prayers are sweet to Him:
And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. (Revelation 5:8)
In his letters to churches, Paul asks for prayer:
Romans 15:30-32, 2 Corinthians 1:11, Ephesians 6:19-20, Colossians 4:3-4, 1 Thessalonians 5:25, 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2, and Hebrews 13:18 (Yes, I am one of those who thinks Paul wrote the book of Hebrews, perhaps with Luke writing it down and getting it out of prison. No, I do not want to argue about it. Research on your own and reach your own conclusion.)
Of course, our own best example is Jesus, in the Garden, with sleeping disciples, alone with His father, knowing exactly what was approaching down the road. Once, twice, and the third time, He prayed:
Matthew 26:39; Luke 22:42; and Mark 14:36.
He also prayed for His disciples, then for you, me, and all the others who believe Him:
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: (John 17:20-22)
Please take a moment to pray to our Father in remembrance of His unspeakable gift of eternal life to all who believe His promise:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
It really is that simple.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)