Friday, September 18, 2026

When To Stop Evangelizing

 

Sometimes differences need to be affirmed and discussions ceased. Tempers can flare on both sides, and neither person will adapt what they think, but will continue arguing until anger erupts. That does good for no one. There comes a time in any heated discussion to draw lines, explain the impasse reached, and decide not to destroy a relationship.

While the graphic is labelled "POLITICS," the discussions that become heated can be a wide variety of subjects, but religion is right up there with politics. Let me take a few paragraphs to examine my view.

When Jesus sent His twelve disciples:

These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. (Matthew 10:5-7)

He sent them to "the lost sheep of the house of Israel," no where else. He mentioned that in other places:

But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (Matthew 15:24)

The woman asking for help for her daughter was being a nuisance, the disciples told Him. Verse 24 is how He answered. That wasn't the last of her insistence, though:

Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. (Matthew 15:25-26)

She asked Him directly, and His answer was - frankly - insulting. She did not rise to the insult, but gave Him facts:

And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour. (Matthew 15:27-28)

Was Jesus insulting the non-Jew, standing by His calling, or giving us an example of persisting in what we know is right? Since I do not believe Jesus made a habit of insulting, I believe this was both an example that He was there to reach the children of Israel first. It was their job to share God with the world. He also taught us to continue asking Him for assistance, and He showed what miracles can be done.

Now - how did I reach the title "When To Stop Evangelizing" from this particular encounter? It is a reach - but my mind is a roundhouse of tracks and I did cross a couple, having testified of my beliefs and having people refuse them. 

One was a former Bible College attendee who became an atheist because his chosen lifestyle did not fit into Christianity. I found him to be a kind, considerate, family-oriented, thoughtful individual who had made a serious profession of faith - and followed it with training - but left that behind. I enjoyed many of the artistic interests he did - music and visual arts. And, I witnessed to him - to no avail. After many years he remains a friend, uninterested in God. He reads my blog every once in a while, and he will recognize himself. 

He will not be surprised that I continue to pray for him. I've told him enough times over the years that he is in my prayers - but we no longer discuss our differing opinions. We know they are different. He firmly stated that, just as I did, but there is no temper, anger, nor reason to regret the friendship.

From my view, I realize the decision is his. Not mine to make. There is nothing I can say different. I will not agree with his viewpoint, but I value his friendship. And, he knows I pray for him, but he does not cut off my friendship, either. He does not request I change my beliefs, either.

There are a few people in our extended family with similar attitudes. One says, "I believe in a different god," but makes no requirements we believe in an unexplainable deity, and we remain family - again, knowing I pray for God to send someone who can reach their hearts.

In reality, although we support missions and missionaries, we cannot change anyone's mind about their decision regarding a relationship with God. But - we pray for them. So many verses, but here's a couple:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18)

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)