Thursday, September 3, 2026

If You've Been Reading . . .

 

I've you've been reading the last few days, you have to know the question. Still, a good number of people will be saying: I simply cannot believe what the Bible says. God cannot exist.

That is an option open to everyone. I know a number of people who have made that choice and are living with it, and keep their mind focused on their answer. Many are tired of being asked, do not wish to discuss it, and would be grateful if their family wouldn't bring it up again. They do not believe the Bible contains enough information to even determine there is a god, much less that it was inspired by the one God.

I understand. I cannot possibly agree. I am so firm in my believe that I care about people I dislike immensely (I would be happy to explain why!) but they are on my prayer list under Salvation List. One specifically would be termed a "ship wrecked reprobate" based on a couple of verses:

Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. (1 Timothy 1:19-20)

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. (Titus 1:16)

Those are people who claim they know about God, may have even had a church membership, one or two may have been in a leadership position - but even the most minor of fruit inspections put them in one or the other of the verses above. 

The reason I pray for those who deny God's existence, which includes denying Jesus as His plan of salvation, is that I know where I will be eternally. That is a comfort for me. I also know where the Bible says non-believers will be. That saddens me.

Not because hell exists. Not because there is an uncrossable gulf between heaven and hell. Because right now I know I would miss their presence. That missing them will cease to exist in heaven, however. Once the hope ends, I expect the memories to end. Heaven will not be a place to remember what we have lost, but a place to enjoy what we have been given. I do expect to see a number of loved ones there. Those who chose not to be with us - I expect to forget.

Right now is the only time I have to get across the idea of making certain people who read this understand how important this question is. You may change your mind at any time, but it is necessary to decide: Do you believe there is a supreme deity? Upon what do you based this decision? How do you expect it to affect your life from now on?

Each answer determines the following question. I believe there is a supreme deity, and it is the Lord God of the Bible. I based miy decision on the Bible, other people's experiences, and my own. From my own profession of faith, I expected that decision to affect every day of my life - plus, I expect to spend eternity with Jesus in a prepared place.

God is not a puppeteer making people respond the way He wants them to. He does give opportunities to do His will, but explains well in Esther 4:14. Decide not to, and God will choose another. That same truth holds to the question of salvation. We cannot make that decision for another person. Everyone will choose for themselves, either heaven, or eternal separation from God.

Ever want something? Not have it, maybe not know how to get it, but want it? When you thought about it, you had hope that you might get it. We do that at Christmas time - a leftover from childhood. We also do it about other things. We hope for them. I believe Paul wrote about that (maybe had Luke as his writer):

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

We all have faith in something, even if it is the continued circling of the earth around a star. That has certain evidence, however, that tomorrow morning the sun will be seen in the eastern sky. Science has learned but about how that works - but all we have is the faith it will continue to work. This rocky world has destructive moments.

I have accepted Pascal's wager, and explained with limited abilities why I believe there will be an eternity, as well as my place in it. If I am right, several of my personal acquaintances will be disappointed. If I am wrong, and there is nothing, I shall not be disappointed nor will my acquaintances.

Where will you be if I am right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)