Saturday, September 26, 2026

Looking At My Prayer List

Back in 2008 I wrote about my prayer list, "Today's Prayer List." Ran across it recently and realized without the names, I could not remember which prayers went to specific people. I also have no idea how those eighteen year old prayers were answered. 

I do know some of my prayers have received a "No" answer. But a huge number I thought were "No" turned out to be "Later, my child. Be patient." Often my impatience showed through. 

I will tell you that my Beloved Husband is answered prayer. I remember praying one Saturday night in May, 1960, for someone who enjoyed my company, as I am, not adjusting to their likes/dislikes, no need to impress. I met him after Sunday dinner at our house. He was a friend to the young man dating my best friend. The rest of the week is a full chapter of life's story, but we married one year and five days later. 

We celebrated our 65th wedding anniversary this year and are looking forward to more. 

I wrote about answered prayer this month. King Hezekiah's prayer for more time is recorded in 2 Kings 20:2-3 and Isaiah 38:2-3. Read the following verses, too, for the answer.

Jesus prayed, too, but a portion of His prayer received a "No" answer:

Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy. And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words. (Matthew 26:38-44)

As we know, His death was pre-ordained:

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. (1 Corinthians 2:7-8)

According to John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-4)

Jesus was God when the world was created. Thus He knew exactly, down to His last words, what would happen the next day. According to John, who was found to be sleeping, Jesus also prayed for me and millions of others who believe He is the Son of God:

For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. (John 17:8-10)

I never have kept track of answered prayer. I have moved people off my prayer list for a variety of reasons - some I know the prayer was answered, though for it might have been "Yes," "No." or "Later," some simply left my circle of information and I don't know for certain.

There is one different list - one request with many names - my "Lost" list. People I know have specifically stated that they do not believe there is a God, or a small number who stated that their is a supreme being that we don't know but never would have died for our sins. Yes - some people are as outspoken as I am.

Those people stay on my list until I know they have made a profession of faith (and there is joy here and in heaven) or they have died without doing so. There is no need for me to be praying past the point a person is no longer in a position to make a profession of faith. Honestly? That doesn't include a coma. There was one young man who had my prayers for a couple of years after the accident that put him in a coma with brain activity. But he never regained consciousness. I won't knew until I get to heaven whether he is there or not. That is God's decision.

However, when I know someone who has been outspoken, they will stay on my Lost list. I will pray their hearts will be open to the gospel message, that they will accept the unspeakable gift God has offered, and Jesus has paid the day He died on the cross. They day He made a promise to the thief next to Him:

And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Luke 23:42-43)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)