It's that an adorable dog waiting for it's owner's command? If you've been around dogs for any length of time, you've seen dogs respond to their owners voices and commands. The training is for the dog's best interest and safety. One of the first commands taught is "Sit." That's a very safe command and when the dog follows directions, sitting could keep it safe in a number of situations. "Stop" is also a good first training command, but it is inherent in the "Sit" command. Tone of voice is also valuable.
I've picked up a lot of that watching my sister, who has a very trained English Bull Terrier. "Bull" is a key word with them because they are very similar to two-year old children who haven't quite understood commands are for their own safety. Her dog, Deed, is very well trained dog because his owner is a very good trainer. After achieving his breed Championship, Deed started scent and agility training - and he certainly heard "Leave it!" many times while winning at a variety of shows.
"Leave it!" means exactly what we expect it to mean, and what people/dogs are trained to do - whatever you are doing, stop and leave alone whatever is in front of you.
Trust me, young dogs learn that early from their own parents before learning from an owner or trainer. Parent pets - dog or cat - are born with instincts we humans lack, but it still takes parental control to teach that certain actions will be met with reactions that at minimum are a discomfort - at maximum are painful.
As adults, people (just as you, dear reader, and I) get the same training all through life. I can assure you that at 85 I'm still receiving "Just leave it!" instructions. This time from our children. There are many things from childhood through the end of life that we should pay close attention to doing - or not doing - as life throws us curves. Neither age nor experience counts when we need to leave something alone.
Most of us learn some of it ourselves. I remember when I wondered how my son had blistered his thumb. I do not recall how long it took, but it was not within a day or two, that I associated the blister on his thumb and the one I just noted on his first finger with an odd bobbie pin that had melted tips. Why this two-year old figured he could plug a bobbie pin into a wall socket was beyond my experience!
As adults such actions without knowing the consequences usually end up harsher than a couple of blisters. Plus, we've had more experience with paying attention to consequences. We've seen consequences that harmed people - seriously and often with life-changing results. However, our son - as he grew older - said he needed to make is own mistakes. I questioned once why he needed to make them all.Yes, all three of my children made errors as they stepped into adulthood, but he stepped further, becoming the prodigal in our prayers.
He knows this. When returning to the closeness of family, he explained that he didn't see religion as we and his sisters did. Within a few months, and the prayerful attention of our Associate Pastor, our son made his profession of faith before the congregation and was baptized showing his following of Jesus' example, displaying the death, burial, and resurrection to life eternal.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)