Reverse FIGURE XI.—THE SEVENTH TABLET OF CREATION British Museum,
THE COSMOLOGIES "131 The father shall repeat them and teach them to his son;"
There are innumerable stories of creation originating around our world. The commonality is that a supreme deity was capable of creating everything in sight - even though the writers of the stories could not accurately describe what was being created. Science has pretty much added to our knowledge of what is - or is not - what those writers described.
The vast majority wrote of a tribal (even generational) hierachy - a strong deity, usually surrounded by lesser occupants of a place never seen by humans, yet described in human terms. Anthropomorphizing - that's the word used when we use human terminology to explain the actions of non-human - such as our pets, objects around us, and definitely when describing deities.
I believe some of that came through writers of the Bible when they reached the points where they did not have the vocabulary to describe what was seen. Every language has limitations and limitations are different in every language. This is one reason I enjoy digital resources when it comes to Bible study.
Studying the writings about the Jewish deity is said to have begun with Moses and his writing the first five books of the Bible. Everyone knows he was not even a visitor to the Garden of Eden, but we also know he did meet with God and was given specific instructions as to what was to be written down. Jews and Christians believe all scripture is inspired by God. Jews were to teach each succeeding generations all that God taught. Evenually, that was written down, then copied again and again. Because of combined scientific and theological studies say so, we can accurately state that the same message has come down for no less than four thousand years. That's just written copies. I firmly believe the stories hold true since the creation of mankind.
God also inspired Paul to write to Timothy why we have scripture:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (2 Timothy 3:16)
The Bereans believed this, too:
And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few. (Acts 17:10-12)
While a number of "Christian" church leaders do not accept the Bible as God's word, I personally do. So did my pastors for the last seventy-five years. I was ten when we moved to Oklahoma a began attending Immanuel Baptist Church. I remain saddened that there is no longer a church there by that name. While the congregation went through the normal downsizing, moving away, dying, the Bible remains, and is taught much as I learned it, in other buildings, other congregations. While every denomination, and every unaffiliated congregation, may have thrological differences, there are basics that remain:
God created the heavens and the earth.
God selected Abraham's descendants to spread the word throughout the world.
God provided the birth of Jesus.
God supported the ministry of Jesus.
Jesus was the good news God gave man, that he could spend eternity with God.
Jesus died on a cross because He equated Himself to God
Jesus resurrected after three days, continuing His ministry.
Jesus returned to heaven, leaving mankind the Holy Spirit
Followers of Jesus are Called Christian (first in Antioch) because Jesus was called Christ.
That is a lot of material to take in all at once. Is there any doubt in your mind that new Christians are feeling very much as the Queen of Sheba when she visited King Solomon:
And she said to the king, It was a true report that I heard in mine own land of thy acts and of thy wisdom. Howbeit I believed not the words, until I came, and mine eyes had seen it: and, behold, the half was not told me: thy wisdom and prosperity exceedeth the fame which I heard. (1 Kings 10:6-7)
Let me assure you - there are many things I do not know about the Bible. I read it daily, with prayers for direction (and a yearning for understanding), and I fully agree with Sheba. The half has not been told.
But - as with the Bereans, I know that receiving "the word with all readiness of mind" and searching "the scriptures daily, whether those things were so," clarity is available. Too often, the mind is not ready and the heart is hardened.
Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him. Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God. (John 12:39-43)
God gave us words, neatly arranged in a book that wasn't available for people to read - for centuries. It was necessary for it to be shared amongst one another, father to son, for centuries. And, it was. God also gave us His Word. John was inspired to write, and my heart responds to:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. (John 1:1-5)
Seek the Word of God in the word of God. Read with all readiness of mind to learn, searching the scripture to see if what I wrote here is not found in the Bible. Prove me wrong. I don't mind your trying. If you are seeking God, I know He can be found.
_reverse_-_The_religion_of_Babylonia_and_Assyria_especially_in_its_relations_to_Israel_(1908)_(14759549966).jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)