Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Crowd of Witnesses

knickerbocker
Click here for Dr. Daniel Knickerbocker's website

No, that’s not a typo from this verse:

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, (Hebrews 12:1 KJV)

The “cloud of witnesses” refers to the examples given in Chapter 11, those who lived before the Hebrews author who gave witness of their faith in God.

My thought of a crowd of witnesses came Monday night during a sermon by Brother Dan Knickerbocker as he spoke about supporting missionaries.

There are several ways of providing support – financial comes to mind because of physical needs, beginning with food and shelter, but it is more important to provide spiritual support, to pray for our missionaries. God’s grace is sufficient for those accomplishing His will.

But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (Philippians 4:19-20 KJV)

We know this in spite of our weaknesses because of Paul’s testimony:

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV)

Bro. Knickerbocker’s sermon gave me thought not only of the missionaries supported through prayer, tithes, offerings, but of the ones who went before, giving sermons I heard, impacting teachers I had, preachers who stood before me. What a great crowd of witnesses to God’s loving plan, His provision for His word to continue through the ages!

I’ve written before about the request I have before God’s throne to have a picnic under the Tree of Life, beside the River of Life. After this sermon, I would extend the invitation further, to all of those who have touched those who touched our lives – and those whose lives we will have touched through supporting those with beautiful feet:

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! (Romans 10:13-15 KJV)

Just as true as when written by Isaiah

Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I. How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! (Isaiah 52:6-7 KJV)

Lord, bless those who go forth in your name to bring the good tidings, that publish abroad salvation and confirm that you reign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)