Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What We Have In Common

temp

I’ve been humming a tune with words running through my head – “the man in the middle was Jesus.” Found the Lyrics on the web:

Three men on the mountain
Up on Calvary
And the Man in the middle was Jesus
He died for you and me
Well the man on the left was a sinnin man
Tied to the cross, he bled
He could have been forgiven
But he mocked the Lord instead
You say you are the Son of God
They nailed you to that tree
Come down, come down and save us
If God your Father be
Well the man on the right was a sinner too
But he was sorry for his sins
He asked the Lord's forgiveness
And Jesus said to him
Fear not, fear not this earthly death
Before this day is o'er
You'll be with me in Paradise
On Heaven's golden shore

I found much in common with all three men on that mountain. Where do you fit in?

Both of the men were sinners. They both broke the Roman law in such a way that their lives were required as their punishment. I doubt that either one accepted their fate. Unlike Jesus, that had not known for years that they would be nailed to the cross.

One of them railed against his torture and demanded that Jesus take them all down from the cross.  He did not believe Jesus’ teaching, but knew that He had accomplished miracles. He taunted Jesus:

And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. (Luke 23:39 KJV)

That does sound as someone who believes but has some doubts. That sounds like someone angry against the world looking for a way out, but believes it can’t happen. I think I’ve had some days very similar, ready to say “If you are …” Of course, that “If” is connected to something I wanted, not what God willed. Just as the thief, if I don’t get what I want, there must not be a God.

Then, we have the man on the other side:

But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. (Luke 23:40-41 KJV)

He knows how he got to where he is. He knows that his trial was just, no matter that he would prefer to be anywhere else. He believes God exists, and that Jesus is innocent.  He does not state openly and publicly that he believes Jesus is the Messiah, Christ. He speaks to Him directly:

And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. (Luke 23:42 KJV)

So, what do I have in common with these three men? Just as two of them, I have sinned. Just as two of them, I know God is, and is a rewarder of those who love Him. Just as one of them, I have asked to be a part of His kingdom. Just as two of them, I believe His words:

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Luke 23:43 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)