Thursday, July 21, 2011

How Close?

GodSpeaks-Curse

Copy of billboard placed by GodSpeaks.com

How closely did you look at the Ten Commandments when I posted on them last week?  Did you look up the scripture references, or just see the words I typed (and the ones I copied)? Only portions of verses were used.  As each one is studied, there is more information to be considered.  Today I’m thinking about:

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. (Exodus 20:7 KJV)

Of the four dealing with our relationship to God, this one spells out consequences. The graven image commandment does mention visiting iniquity on future generations, but this one gets personal and speaks judgmentally.

It’s a simple statement to begin with.  Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.  That’s usually where we stop.  We look at the commandment, not the consequences.  It says the LORD. That’s who will hold us guilty for taking His own name in vain.  Others may call attention to inappropriate language, but when it comes to His name, He determines guilt.

There are so many ways of breaking this commandment, too.  Matthew Henry’s Commentary listed a few:

[1.] By hypocrisy, making a profession of God's name, but not living up to that profession. Those that name the name of Christ, but do not depart from iniquity, as that name binds them to do

[2.] By covenant-breaking; if we make promises to God, binding our souls with those bonds to that which is good, and yet perform not to the Lord our vows, we take his name in vain  

[3.] By rash swearing, mentioning the name of God, or any of his attributes … to no good purpose.

[4.] By false swearing, which, some think, is chiefly intended in the letter of the commandment 

[5.] By using the name of God lightly and carelessly, and without any regard to its awful significancy

And you thought it was just using curse words!!  We should use God’s name as though He were standing beside us and we were introducing Him to those with us.

Ooops, I’m sorry – some of my readers doubt His existence. They cannot visualize Him standing beside me, as I can.  I would then expect them to respect my belief that He is and not take His name in vain, just as I would expect them not to denigrate a family member to me.  That would be rude, and I expect my friends to be publically polite.

What?  You say, “But you write of Him here so often!  Every day you have something to say about Him or His word. If I’m here, I see it.”  Yep – sure do.  And, while I appreciate very much those who stop by and read, that’s why I write this blog.  This is my response to:

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 10:32 KJV)

I do pray that my readers will be there with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)