Saturday, July 30, 2011

Comforter

dove
This morning I woke up with the hymn “Heavenly Love” running through my mind.  As I read my e-mails, there was a devotional a friend sent that included: 
“The Holy Spirit not only convicts us of sin, but He also brings to mind godly principles and leads us on a righteous path.”
That brought to mind this verse:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

What do the three things have as a common thread?  God’s love guides those who hear Him, through the Holy Ghost who reminds us of God’s love.  It is a never ending circle that begins with God’s love (John 3:16) and our love for Him (1 John 4:19).

It is that bringing into remembrance that provides comfort to me.  When I wake with a remembrance of His love, I face what the day brings wrapped in the peace Jesus left us holding:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27 KJV)


And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7 KJV)

Facing each day’s wars and rumors of wars, nations rising against nations, famines, disease and natural disasters will eventually take its toll, without hope.  Even though we cannot see the future holding peace, plenty, health and stability, God gives us the very substance of things hoped for.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1 KJV)

Many times I been asked about – and I have written how to gain – that faith:

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17 KJV)

It’s not only the world’s troubles that press in upon us – we each face daily pains and sorrows similar to but yet unlike anyone else’s.  The friends we would turn to have problems of their own. When no one else is around, we turn to Him, which brought to mind another old hymn, “Where Could I Go But To The Lord.”

Now, when we do get to this point, where we turn our lives over to our Lord in faith, hope and love, He provides one of the greatest comforts I’ve ever known – people of faith.  Those with troubles of their own that have found the Comforter and will fellowship with us through trials and tribulations, sorrows and sadness, even health and happiness.

There is nothing quite like Christian fellowship.  Join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)