Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thanks, Lord

I drove home in a fog after our Wednesday night AWANAs. No, not my usual mental fog – I live with that.

This was the clouds-sitting-on-the-ground fog. The one that follows a couple of below freezing days followed by slightly warmer, much moister air. I miss coastal fogs. I was born in Los Angeles county. There were some really great fogs there. Of course, at times there were smudge pots, too. Well, it was a farming community. Now it’s concrete.

So, I’m left with a few bits of moisture hanging between temperature changes. The fog does, however, cover some hidden dangers. Deer are moving about more. Ranging a bit further as this winter is drier and nourishment is needed. We watched a small herd move across our friends’ front pasture last night, another five along the drive home that couldn’t decide which side of the road offered better shelter. We stopped and allowed them to make their way comfortably.

Last month a couple from church wasn’t so fortunate. A ten-point buck, I’ve been told, took a flying leap just as they passed him. The result was his death and their car being totaled. And they didn’t even get to keep the rack.

Would I give this up to gain the conveniences of being back in a city? Not on your life.

I am so very grateful to our Lord for leading us to this spot. I thank Him whenever I say to myself, “I really love our home.” I thank Him whenever I find myself smiling at a child at church that brightened my heart. I thank Him, even though my granddaughter moved far away, for her salvation and her minister husband as they prepare for their first child. I thank Him for our church and the opportunities for service it provides.

Less than twenty miles from here there is another such church. Without a youth program. With a pastor who will not support a bus ministry, for he believes the parents should bring a child to church. I’d love to see that, too. But I can also see a child leading.

The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. (Isaiah 11:6 KJV)

I have not seen a wolf dwelling with any lambs, nor a leopard with any kid. Not even a young lion with a fatling, together.

But I have seen a family come into the church because of their child. And for that I give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good (1 Chronicles 16:34; Psalm 106:1; 107:1; 118:1; 118:20; 136:1 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)