Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stand Still A While

Jack
We have one white donkey named Silver, though some call him Jack. Kish, a Benjamite had many more and was considered a mighty man of power.  Odd, though, since the Bible uses the phrase “mighty man of valour” more often.  Kish’s animals disappeared and he sent his son, Saul, to find them. The story begins in 1 Samuel 9:1.  But I want to fast forward toward the end of the chapter:

And as they were going down to the end of the city, Samuel said to Saul, Bid the servant pass on before us, (and he passed on,) but stand thou still a while, that I may shew thee the word of God. (1 Samuel 9:27 KJV)

There are so many times I wish I could stand still for a while and let someone show me things from God’s word.  The preacher does for less than 30 minutes on Sunday, so I look further, reading, researching, questioning. Wishing I could join Mary, sitting at His feet, hearing the word from His lips.

Saul listened for a while, but didn’t take it seriously.  Just a while before they stood together, Saul had said:

And Saul answered and said, Am not I a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel? and my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin? wherefore then speakest thou so to me? (1 Samuel 9:21 KJV)

I know that answer very well.  I’ve used it myself.  What can one person do?  What is the use of continually reading, writing, speaking about His word when so few read or hear? Where is the value of spending time and energy this way?

For me, it’s His promises.  I read them in His word – and I read over and over again how He kept them.  I read of how little is truly required and that one of the least of all the families can be of service in His kingdom. 

I once had a boss who earned the reputation of being ready to do anything she asked of her employees.  Our Lord was perfection in providing that example when He completed Abraham’s prophecy:

And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: (Genesis 22:8a KJV)

God himself came as that perfect lamb, fulfilling the required sin offering.  How can I stop reading of such?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)