Monday, January 23, 2012

Guilt!

temp
They had just sat down and finished a meal of bread and fish (that combination sounds good, doesn’t it?) Satisfied and comfortable – can you picture this?  When our church has it’s annual Fathers Day Fish Fry, I think of this scene.  But it was what happened afterward that went through my mind last night.

You see, I was feeling guilty, so it was the next verse that came to mind.

This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead. So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. (John 21:14-15 KJV)

No, there’s no guilt shown here – but do you think Peter might have had a fleeting moment or two?  What about the time Jesus said:

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. (Matthew 16:23 KJV)

I don’t believe I’d ever want our Lord to say that I was an offense to Him!!  Peter had a way of saying the wrong thing.

Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. (Matthew 17:4 KJV)

Peter focused on the people and the event, not on the spiritual, the divinity of Christ.  Still again, Peter was half a bubble off.  Then came the trial.

Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake. Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice. (John 13:37-38 KJV)

Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly. (Matthew 26:74-75 KJV)

Did Jesus say “Peter, as soon as you get your act together …” or, “Peter, as soon as you do penance …” or, “Peter, after you’ve served your time …” or, the worst, “Peter, you failed and cannot be forgiven”? 

Nope.  He said:

He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. (John 21:17 KJV)

I serve a loving, sacrificing, risen, forgiving Lord.  When I accept, love and serve Him, there is no need for guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)