Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Doing What?

I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. (Acts 26:9 KJV)

Unlike Paul, most of us do not persecute Christians. We don’t set out to make their lives miserable in an attempt to return them to their previous state, unbelievers in Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.

At least I don’t think my readers do.

There are some in this world who do. The reactions range from those who deny saving grace to those who behead Christians simply for their belief. Christians are often laughed at, ignored or filed suit against, but in some places there are laws limiting their abilities to meet and speak.

It has been this way since our Savior died on the cross.

Those are the extreme reactions to Christians. What about within the Christian community itself? A quick glance among those who call themselves Christian find them doing many things contrary to the name of Jesus.

No, I’m not thinking only of recent, or even past, scandals within differing denominations. Nor am I thinking of evangelical ministers of large congregations who hit headlines with sins consequences. I’m thinking of the every day family members who fit Paul’s description of himself.

For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (Romans 7:19 KJV)

Sins of omission, sins of commission. We all do them. When recognizing this in ourselves, we agree again with Paul.

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? (Romans 7:24 KJV)

There are people I love dearly, for whom I fear. There are some I know slightly, and pray for them just as strongly as I do my loved ones, for they are not looking for delivery. Yet we have hope – for them and for ourselves.

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. (Romans 8:24-25 KJV)

That hope is faith. It accepts God’s grace.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)

It is written that Christ said it first to a sinful woman who washed His feet.

And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace. (Luke 7:50 KJV)

Do you pray He will say it to others in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)