We begin Sunday worship services with singing. When you open the YouTube app and it shows the countdown to starting, the switch to live takes you right into music. It is a regular part of our service, bringing us together to focus on the pulpit and the choir loft behind it.
Among the songs Sunday was "It Is Well With My Soul." Betcha you've heard it, though you may not know much about it. I've written more than once about Horatio Spafford. Highlights of his life are: a wealthy lawyer with investments in Chicago; had a beautiful wife and four lovely girls; was a Presbyterian for many years; founded the American Colony in Jerusalem, providing medical care, shelter, and soup kitchens to Muslims, Jews, and Christians. Several tragedies could have overwhelmed him: the Chicago fire, which burned his investments, leaving only charred property, the loss of his four daughters in a shipwreck, financial loss, but not a loss of faith.
The lyrics were sung a couple of years after the collision of two ships that sank the Ville de Harve in less than fifteen minutes. From the above news story, Mrs. Spafford and the girls were sailing with friends from Chicago - while Horatio remained behind due to business concerns.
His wife's telegram, "Saved alone. What shall I do?" speaks volumes. After receiving that, he traveled to New York and sailed to be with her. As his ship crossed the spot, the captain told him they were sailing over where the ship had been lost.
How does any one handle such loss? I don't know. I cannot begin to imagine the loss of a child, much lose all of my children in a single accident.
However, I do know a bit about having faith through tragic loss. I know bad things happen to very good people, and good things happen for very bad people. I know we live in a fallen world that God provided natural resources that can damage property and people, too.
Matthew quoted Jesus in teaching us to love our enemies:
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? (Matthew 5:44-46)
In the middle, Jesus let us know that God is aware natural things happen to both the just and the unjust. Those with faith continue to love God and also understand:
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
Jesus told His disciples that after His death a Comforter would be coming:
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (John 16:7-8)
Let's go back to Romans 8:
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:24-27)
That brings to my mind the blessed assurance of salvation:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10)
For me - that is the foundation for facing death - not just my own eventual, but the very real loss of parents, nephew, grandson, friends, and an innocent child in our community. Faith in God.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)