Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Can We Talk About Goals?

 


This was just sketched on a wrinkled piece of paper that I had used heaven only knows when. Doubting it came from a work meeting (but it could have), I prefer thinking it came from some Ladies Meeting, or a weekend of fellowship thinking about God's word (or Word.)

Frankly, my five-year goal is to celebrate my 90th birthday five years from next Friday. A weekly goal is getting to next Friday - but we worked pretty hard at that this past year, so I'm feeling comfortable. It's the "Someday" goal from the above list that's on my mind.

My "Someday" goals have changed over the decades. Too many decades to really look at the changes, but I made one "Someday" goal back when I was a young teen and decided I was being taught correctly and needed to make a decision. Some day, I wanted to be in heaven with most of the people I knew. There is a God that is both created and still cares, who provided an eternal home for His creation. Simple and unbelievable unless you find Him.

I not only knew the Roman's Road that outlines the reasons for and ability to achieve salvation. These verses in the Bible do not stand alone, but they encompass the wording needed to understand we live in an imperfect world, why that affects everyone. At one time I had it memorized and marked in my New Testament. Back then I was eager to share that information.

Life decisions moved my path into creating a family. I fell in love in a week, and married a year later. Together we made and met several awesome goals. Missed a few along the way, too, but none of them were earth-shattering. This year we celebrated our 65th wedding anniversary. We feel grateful and blessed - many of our dear friends did not make that. Our own son-in-law missed his 37th, and they would have been an awesome couple at 50th, 60th, or 70th. 

Not everyone gets to complete a goal, but we should set them. The heavenly one I set is available to everyone I know, and many have turned it down. I would love to know the specifics on those that have. Where/when did they make the specific decision to turn down what Gof has for them?

Oh, I do ask that question. The older I get, the stronger is my desire to believe I have done what I could to explain why I am interested. You see, the offer of a heavenly eternity is open to every one, to whosoever, all mankind. And yet many turn it down. The answer I do get is the same as many celebrities, "I don't believe there are any gods. Science proves the universe is simply a natural occurrence."

Can it be that it's simply a matter of having an open mind and using prayer as a companion to reading the Bible?

As the Bible teaches, all mankind has sinned - that's a problem, but is true:

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: (Romans 3:10)

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (Romans 3:23)

In spite of our willfully damaging other people's lives, God loves us all:

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)

Willfully continuing to reject God has only one solution, accepting God has the other:

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

The needed action is simple and life changing:

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10:9)

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Romans 10:13)

Of course these aren't the only verses. They are a convenient way of getting to the center of "what is wrong and how to set it right." There are tons of other verses - Romans 3:10 is a quote from the Old Testament. Prophets before Christ were specific in where men were sinning. If we look with truth in our own lives, we know where we have fallen short of truth with those we love, much less those we don't.

The Bible is full of truth. However, single verses can carry falsehoods, so it is best read in context. Read through Romans. Better yet, read through the four Gospels and see what you find in Jesus. Then read Acts to meet Paul and why he was involved with Jesus' followers. Then read Romans.

Of course, then you'll need to read the Old Testament to find out where Jews came from, why their religion is important, how promises made to God were not kept, but promises made by God were kept. Never skip the Prophecies! Every book of the Old Testament speaks of God's promise of a coming savior. Can you see Jesus there? If not, please let me show you what you've missed.

Come, set your goal. Read with me, and learn of our Lord and Savior. One God who is always with mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)