Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Rendering Praise

 


Whatever we do, we run across people who are doing the same thing. “Birds of a feather flock together” isn’t wrong, no matter how trite it may sound. Thus I discovered another blogger who knows that prayer is not only supplications to but conversations with God.

King David is most likely the widest known for writing down his own conversations with God – including the verse Cynthia uses as an introduction to her Rendered Praise blog, Psalm 56:12.

The book of Psalms begins:

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. (Psalms 1:1 KJV)

. . . and ends 150 Psalms later:

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. (Psalms 150:6 KJV)

Each and every one in between is focused on being righteous with the Lord, for our own goodness. Not all are written by King David, but most are and he’s the first author that comes to mind. In my Bible, his are titled in the first verse, as in one of the most read:

A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalms 23:1 KJV)

For praising, we can open with:

To the chief Musician upon Muthlabben, A Psalm of David. I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. (Psalms 9:1 KJV)

My favorite verse for praising is repeated four times in Psalms 107 (which is titled “Let the Redeemed of the Lord Say So”:

Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! (Psalms 107:8 KJV)

I firmly believe we should be praising our Lord before the world, letting people know not only that we love Him, but that He is interested in us and wants us to be with Him during our daily lives. That part of what Jesus tells us:

And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him. (Mark 12:17 KJV)

Do you marvel at what God offers us? What He requires of us?

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:8 KJV)

There are so many more verses that speak to me about God’s interaction with people. God desires time with us, and offers eternity with Him in exchange.

I do appreciate your stopping here and reading my thoughts about my own relationship with God, and I hope you have a similar relationship with Him. One where you find a quiet place and open your heart to our Father. It’s always good to consider the example of conversing with God that Jesus gave us:

After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.
Amen.
(Matthew 6:9-13 KJV)

Pretty much a conversation we could have with any of our friends, acknowledging their position, making requests they have the ability to meet, asking forgiveness for our errors, telling them what they mean to us. Have you had some of those conversations with close friends? Ones you can count on to keep your trust confidential, yet follow through on requests?

It’s those requests that are very important to us as we build a relationship with our Lord. It’s good to think about His fulfillment of our requests. I had such an epiphany recently.

I had Covid-19 last October. There was an after effect to my leg muscles which took therapy, and a lot of my hair broke off. Eventually, I could walk without a walker, then without a cane! Definitely praise worthy answer to prayer.

I also had hair growing back. Curly. Before, I had straight hair – so straight I could tie it into knots and they would actually fall out. No body, no waves, definitely no curls!

As I looked in the mirror and remember how much my Mom wanted a curly-headed girl, and how many permanents she used on my hair that quickly grew out, I thought of how many times I wished for curly hair.

That reminded me that I actually prayed for it. I prayed on a Saturday for God to send me a young man I could be at ease with, didn’t have to impress, and I met my husband at noon on Sunday. I prayed for a multi-generation home where I could care for my parents, and had the blessing of having my father live with us – next door to my daughter’s family with two of his great-grands. Now we have four generations again, next door to each other.

Each of those is a personal example of how prayer has been answered, but I also prayed for my children’s salvation. All three have come to love Jesus as described in John 3:16, and each have children who have done so, too. God be praised for answered prayers! Others have a similar story. Tomorrow. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)