Friday, August 6, 2021

Preconceived Ideas

Aha! there’s not a graphic in the usual spot. Thought I’d change things up a bit. That’s because I’m going to tell you a tiny bit about two books, each one opened my mind to new ideas. The Bible expects that to happen when you open your heart to God

Instead of a couple of Bible characters who did something extraordinary, I’m going to introduce you to a couple of real ladies who are themselves extra ordinary in totally different ways. Both reminded me of opening eyes, as mine certainly were. Please read 2 Kings sixth chapter, with attention to:

And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. (2 Kings 6:17 KJV)

And it came to pass, when they were come into Samaria, that Elisha said, LORD, open the eyes of these men, that they may see. And the LORD opened their eyes, and they saw; and, behold, they were in the midst of Samaria. (2 Kings 6:20 KJV)

My prayer is that God will open the eyes of those who seek to know Him. To see these books on Amazon, simply click on a book covers:

I purchased the Kindle edition, and a regret it a bit because I’d like to loan it out. I mentioned Elizabeth Mahlou Wednesday in my blog on this website, even mentioned this book, “Blest Atheist.” I read her blog, “100th Lamb” and the one about her family, “The Clan of Mahlou,” but both have been quiet for years. I no longer know where she is or what she is doing, and I miss her. I do find the book very interesting, though, and a handbook on how not to raise children showing the worst examples as well as how to raise children showing good examples. Both family examples did not have God at their center.

The review on Amazon is validated by the book’s core stories:

As a young child, outraged by the hypocrisy she finds in a church that does nothing to alleviate the physical and sexual abuse she experiences on a regular basis, Beth delivers an accusatory youth sermon and gets her family expelled from the church. Having locked the door on God, Beth goes on to raise a family of seven children, learn 17 languages, and enjoy a career that takes her to NASA, Washington, and 24 countries. All the time, however, God keeps knocking at the door, protecting and blessing her, which she realizes only decades later. Ultimately, Beth finds God in a very simple yet most unusual way. A very human story, Blest Atheist encompasses the greatest literary themes of all time – alienation, redemption, and even the miraculous. The author’s life experiences, both tragic and tremendous, result in a spiritual journey containing significant ups and downs that ultimately yield great joy and humility.

Not told in chronological order, please don’t expect a lot of explanation of how God’s presence touched her life, yet you will see as she ties scenes from widely separated years how that works. We cannot see our life as a blinding light in Damascus setting us on a new journey.

One line in the book will become another blog  (soon I hope) “Are people allowed to crawl in this house?" I want to expand on the thought that not all new followers of Christ are Pauls in this world – we are allowed to crawl in His house!



This book, too, is not written in chronological order. There are many books that open with sadness, then close with joy. It’s the path between the two where we often find ourselves facing preconceived ideas. I had them in “Blest Atheist,” but more so in “The Truth About Butterflies.” One I had created from the moment I opened the book threw an absolute truth in my face that had to put the book down and work through in my own life.

I do not want to put that process into words here, now, but would be more than happy to chat with anyone curious enough to Comment. Suffice it to say, it was an eye opener that still stays with me. Again, the book’s review is valid:

They belong to each other, Nancy and Nicole--mother and daughter. They're two halves of a whole, two facets of the same breath--until the day Nicole exhales. . . and never inhales again.
After the death of her daughter, and quickly losing her own battle with grief, Nancy decides to move from the house she can no longer bear to live in. While packing, she comes across a box in the attic. Inside this box, Nancy uncovers treasures she didn't know existed and evidence that her and her daughter's lives had been more divinely entwined than she could've imagined.
The Truth About Butterflies is a true story of grief, hope, and transformation, and a single enduring truth: Life cannot be restrained by death.

Both books are under $5 in Kindle editions. Neither (to my knowledge) has been on a national best sellers list.  Neither may strike a chord with you as they have with me.

However, I would appreciate your considering them, and if purchasing, please pray that God will provide what He would like you to take away from either of them.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)