Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Mother's Farewell

I met her less than two years ago. We were assigned to the same project. On her first visit to my house she noticed the scripture sign out front and simply commented that she liked it. We didn’t discuss our religious beliefs, but we both understood that the other was a Christian, too. I didn’t mention this blog. Our work kept us physically apart and when we did speak, it was all about the project.

We kept in touch a couple of times each year. She sent a Christmas message, and I responded and she wrote back that she had lost her mother this last August. My first thought was how hard this Christmas was going to be for her, but her message continued. I could not make her story any more moving, so here they are, her own words:

“Although I miss her terribly! I’m in awe to think that she is in heaven during this wonderful holiday season. It is the only thing that gives me peace sometimes. I was my mother's caregiver to her last dying breath. This is nothing new for me, I also cared for and held my grandmother’s, my father’s, my godfather’s, my ex-husband’s grandmother and my very best friend’s hands as I prayed while they took their last breath.

“I have been lucky to witness that those who were able to speak during the last moments shared the beauty and awe of what they were seeing. My Dad had a hard time communicating but he drew me a picture. My mother wasn’t able to talk to me during her last week here, but right before she lapsed; she and I were just having one of those ‘pass the time’ conversations with light-hearted banter; but I was prodding her for some answers (because I knew her end was close).

“I was fussing around with some curtains and had my back turned to her. I had asked her a question in which I was waiting for her reply. I waited for what seemed like enough time that she should’ve answered me. Thinking I must’ve struck a nerve that made her cry which disabled her to respond to me, I prodded her again. This time I turned to look at her after a few seconds of silence from her end ... I saw her hands outstretched, holding hands with someone. She was intently looking and listening to every word being spoken to her. She was gazing at whomever with an adoring, awe-struck look. I went to her bedside. You see, I couldn’t see who she saw. I had an idea though.

“I put my hand on her shoulder, I asked her if she was talking to angels again. (For about 2 weeks she has involved me in her conversations with the angels that have been visiting) I asked her if she was holding my dad's hand. (She had not seen him yet and I was waiting for him to come.) I waited quietly but intently. She finally spoke to whom she was holding hands with. She said, ‘Yes, I understand. I will ...’ (She said a few more words but she started mumbling & I couldn’t understand.) Their hands let go.

“She then turned to me & said, "Lord Jesus Christ was speaking." I was speechless. She asked me to hold hands & pray the Lord's Prayer. She then told me she was tired and wanted to rest. She listened to me as I caught her up on everybody. She mumbled some responses and drifted off. I never spoke to her again, coherently.”

What struck me was how ready to go her mother was, yet waited patiently for the Lord’s timing. I am also reminded of multiple scriptures. Of Stephen, being stoned, who saw his Lord (Acts 7:56); of Job, who lost all he had except his belief that God was worthy of worship, no matter what the hardship; of Jesus’ words in John 5:34, “That ye might be saved”.

But, greatest of all the scriptures that come to mind is the one that is used in the book of John, one that all Christians hold in their heart for their unsaved loved ones:

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. [John 20:31 KJV]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)