Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December, Again!

Here it is – December! Hurry, scurry, planning, purchasing, packing it up and shipping it off. And, the arguments begin.

Retailers wishing to be “politically correct” and not wishing to lose even a small percentage of their possible markets go for the generic “Holiday”. This covers a multitude of celebrations occurring during the winter, stretching their sales. This includes creating Holiday cards.

I found those in our largest local retailer.

These Holiday cards had lovely winter scenes. Many show soft cutesy animals frolicking in pure white snow, with maybe a flake or two still falling. Silly as can be! I’ve seen new-fallen snow and it is beautiful – for the time it takes for something to run through it, or the weather warm up enough to turn it into muck. Creating an idyllic moment for the front of a winter solstice card is ridiculous to me.

Or one with a roly-poly Santa Claus? Nope, that’s not for me. I wouldn’t expect that one to be appropriate for Chanukah, Eid or Kwanzaa, either.

What I’m looking for is a card that specifically celebrates the birth of Jesus, the promised Messiah. In Greek, that’s Christ, and the Greek letter Chi is insufficient to stand in for His title. Yes, title. His name is Jesus. His title is Christ. Angels said so.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (Luke 2:11 KJV)

That second chapter of Luke is so beautiful to me.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (Luke 2:13-14 KJV)

Now that’s worth shouting about even today! Of course, it wasn’t enough for the shepherds, and those words shouldn’t be enough for us today, either. We should take a serious look at what has been made known to us.

And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. (Luke 2:15 KJV)

They didn’t waste any time getting to the manger, either, to confirm what they had been told – a baby, in a manger, with his parents. Nothing outstanding in that – except for what they had seen, and what they had been told was fulfilled. Of course, not everyone had seen the angels.

And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. (Luke 2:18 KJV)

There are people still wondering at these things which are told them again and again. Year after year over millennia this same message goes out and some believe.

And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them. (Luke 2:20 KJV)



Some who hear do not.

2 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean. I make my own Christmas cards every year with a nativity, minus the shepherds, to give out. I am done with our shopping. We don't do a whole lot. We all have more than we need, but I like to give little things to show someone I'm thinking of them. I enjoy the getting together more than the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I love Christmas and the opportunity to spread this message.
    By the way, I noticed you have a link to my Songs Of Faith on your sidebar. I've recently moved my music to Lyric Devotions,(it also has a badge) and will eventually close Songs Of Faith. I do appreciate the link!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)