Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Teens and Christianity

I believe there is validity in this recent CNN article, “More teens becoming ‘fake’ Christians.” Also the more so since it includes “many parents and pastors are unwittingly passing on this self-serving strain of Christianity.”

The good news (besides the gospel of Christ) is “Dean says committed Christian teens share four traits: They have a personal story about God they can share, a deep connection to a faith community, a sense of purpose and a sense of hope about their future.

"’There are countless studies that show that religious teenagers do better in school, have better relationships with their parents and engage in less high-risk behavior,’ she says. ‘They do a lot of things that parents pray for.’"

So, where do the teens you know fit into such a study? Where do you?

If a Christian, are you a church member?

What is the basis of your beliefs?

Are you able to discuss them with others without rancor? (Look it up – it’s an excellent word!)

What is the purpose of life?

What is the hope for the future?

Let me assure you, I have a personal history with God that I share with people. Every. Single. Day. I have a wonderful, deep connection to a “faith community” through a church whose members I count as extended, supportive family. My life has had, does have and will have purpose simply because it belongs to God. My future is defined by God’s gift of grace and mercy.

I believe there has been an unending relationship between God and man since He breathed into Adam. I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God that aids in continuing that relationship. I believe that:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1 KJV)

I believe the Messiah was promised, and that promise was fulfilled.

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25-26 KJV)

I’ve read the end of the story, too.

Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand. (Revelation 1:3 KJV)

Truly, I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4 KJV)


Children do learn what they are taught when it is truthful, interesting, and those teaching them live the words they give out. Garbage in/garbage out applies not only to the field of computer science.

The teens we teach are instructed to let me know when they see my actions not matching my words. What are the teens around you receiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)