Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Home


Today we pack and travel most of the day to be with relatives. These trips are not planned. They occur when a loved one dies.

This trip is for my sister-in-law’s mother, a lady I met before I met my husband. My SiL and I worked together in the credit department of a large department store when we were just out of high school. Her mother was used to taking in children – her five always brought more around and they were made to feel at home.

Her children brought her grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren who cherished her and the memories she created. When you factor in nieces, nephews and their offspring, she will be missed by hundreds.

At ninety-one, there are more family members here than there are relatives of her generation or her life-long friends. She was born just before the War to End all War ended, and many more which made that phrase obsolete. It takes several history classes to cover the events that occurred in her lifetime.

She knew the emotion behind scripture, too.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. [3 John 1:4 KJV]

She attended church in more than one city, but the longest membership was in the church where her services will be held Thursday. The membership there is dwindling as their members go home, as she has.

We will experience grief, but we will also celebrate a life of fulfillment. There are no public accolades, no scholastic doctorates, but each woman there will remember a favorite recipe shared – usually after tasting a lovingly prepared dish. The children (whether grown or young) will remember hugs and kisses that carried her love. The adults will remember sage advice (some not followed) and days of enjoyment at reunions.

There will be stories told, tears shed, smiles shared, memories made during the next two days. Then we will return to our daily lives with a small prayer that we may go home as peacefully in our sleep, that we will be laid to rest with similar ceremony and that our Lord and Savior will be waiting for us in the same manner.

May God bless those who shared her life with peace and comfort.

2 comments:

  1. Phyllis you did a wonderful job of dicribing Judy's mother, you made me feel as if I knew her but I have never met her. Thank you for sharing this. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs to you Grammy* That was such a beautiful post. If her family reads this I'm sure it will touch their heart as it did mine.

    I'm glad you liked my Blog today. I've been meaning to write one about hospitality. It was something that was never stressed when I was growing up and yet it is so important for us to do so.

    lots of love to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)