Thursday, November 1, 2012

Power In The Blood

PowerintheBlood
(I borrowed this graphic from a friend in the Philippines. If the source is found, please let me know to cite it correctly)

There truly is power in the blood Jesus shed for us. I’m reminded of a hymn I’ve sung over the years, in churches of different denominations:
Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There’s pow’r in the blood, pow’r in the blood;
Would you o’er evil a victory win?
There’s wonderful pow’r in the blood.
Refrain:
   There is pow’r, pow’r, wonder-working pow’r
   In the blood of the Lamb;
   There is pow’r, pow’r, wonder-working pow’r
   In the precious blood of the Lamb.
Can you hear it now? The ‘pop’ given in the word ‘pow’r’ each time? Never ‘power,’ though, it’s to be sung just as Charles Edgar Lewis wrote the work ‘pow’r’.

A very appropriate scripture, too:

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; And having an high priest over the house of God; (Hebrews 10:19-21 KJV)

Verses just before that hold just as much power:

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. (Hebrews 10:16-18 KJV)

No more offering for sin. That is a world-changing statement. There is nothing I can offer to the Lord that will cleanse me from sin. Somehow David knew that, too.  He understood that only God can provide the cleansing needed to create a new heart:

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. (Psalms 51:1-4 KJV)

A little earlier in Hebrews 10, we’re told:

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. (Hebrews 10:14 KJV)

Christ did once what we could never do ourselves – comply with God’s will within His own law. Only God could accomplish that. This same chapter tells us what happened next:

But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; (Hebrews 10:12 KJV)

Once and for all, there is power in the blood of Christ.

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, (Revelation 1:5 KJV)

2 comments:

  1. love the verses and the song! Yes, there's power in the blood! It will never lose its power. It reaches to the highest mountain, it goes to lowest valley, the blood that gives me strength from day to day..it will never lose its power!!!! wonderful power!!!!! -elena, love in action christian outreach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh amen and amen, sure is power, no other power can wash away sin...Thanks have a very blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)