Monday, August 30, 2010

Quenched

Quench not the Spirit. (1 Thessalonians 5:19 KJV)

Does that sound simple? Doesn’t to me at all. I’ve read – and I’ve seen – example of where the Spirit was not only quenched, but drenched to the bone. Our sermon Sunday night, given by a lay minister, laid the subject directly at our feet.

He started with Elijah, in 1 Kings 18 and 19. Elijah had brought years of drought and evoked the anger of the king, who knew the reason for the request to God. Elijah had just completed besting 450 priests of Baal in front of children of Israel, full witnesses of Baal’s failure. The rains had come and Elijah’s strength was that of horses, able to run along side Ahab’s chariot. Then Jezebel threatened him, and he ran.

Excuse me? God had just proven, in front of witnesses, His ability as well as His support for Elijah. And the words of one woman were enough for him to run to the wilderness and pray for death?

But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers. (1 Kings 19:4 KJV)

Elijah quenched the spirit. What can be the cost of quenching the Spirit?

The nation of Israel did that same thing, with the result that an entire generation died in the wilderness. The generation that should have cross the Jordan, at God’s command. Instead, the heeded the ten spies who saw a land of milk and honey, but armies guarding it – and lacked faith that God could take care of those armies.

Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies: But turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers: they were turned aside like a deceitful bow. (Psalms 78:56-57 KJV)

Do we not do the same? We set limits on what God is able to do. Do we think He is insignificant, or do we think we are?

He is the creator.

For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof. (1 Corinthians 10:26 KJV)

He is able.

For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV)

Christ testified to His ability.

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26 KJV)

He loves us.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

2 comments:

  1. Oh me, I so do not want to quench the Holy Spirit, I know at times I do, and it is almost like he says well you want to do it your way now I see, Oh me, hang my head and repent and ask God to forgive me, this is so good dear, thank you for this blessing today, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post. Thank you for sharing it with us. If only we would be more mindful of the Holy Spirit. Sadly, we can become so desensitized. I pray we (the Body) wake up to that.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)