Sunday, June 8, 2008

G'day

Nope – I’m not Aussie. Just a multi-generation American. A bit of genealogy shows one of my earliest immigrant ancestors arrived in 1619 at the Jamestown colony. Met, of course, by distant early cousins of my Cherokee multiple-great grandmother.

But I have had the pleasure of meeting a number of people from around this marvelous earth. Just a few countries come to mind at first: Australia, Bahrain, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Dubai, El Salvador, England, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Nepal, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Russia, South Africa, Taiwan, Turkey, Venezuela, Viet Nam – and that doesn’t count missionaries who serve over seas.

Some I really enjoyed, some I didn’t, so much. That was based on attitudes, personalities, situations, not on their country of origin. It has been obvious that … there is no respect of persons with God. (Romans 2:11 KJV) is true whether it was written by Paul, or by Luke quoting Peter: Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: (Acts 10:34 KJV)

This morning I used G’day to greet someone, not to indicate a Southern Cross origin, but because I like its brevity and friendliness. The international community I’ve liked and enjoyed were friendly and shared the feeling of brotherhood no matter what geographic lines were drawn in separation.

The world is brought closer by time, not distance. I leave DFW in the morning and, baring mechanical difficulties, I’m in Taipei before dark. I leave DFW in the afternoon and arrive in Athens in sunshine the next day. That Jamestown ancestor took weeks to traverse the Atlantic, solely on the faith that this one ship would make it, though others had not.

Now we traverse the world in seconds via this marvelous world wide web. Simply amazing, isn’t it?

I have to admit, I’m somewhat limited in my surfing – I read and comprehend only English (usually the American version.) I can make out a bit of Spanish, pick out a word or two in German and French, but have no clue when it comes to the Asian alphabets. That’s where pictures truly are worth thousands of words.

So let's enjoy this wide wonderful world our Lord created, and its interested, interesting and varied people. Some day we’ll share a more wonderful place, learning more and more as He has promised:

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. … For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (1 Corinthians 13:10, 12 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)