Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Matthew Chapter 13

 

I used part of Matthew 13 yesterday, linking to the entire parable plus Jesus' explanation to His disciples. The Bible Gateway is a tool I use to introduce people to Bible reading. There are so many ways to put a Bible in someone's hands - and as far as I'm concerned, that's outstanding.

I've had comments in my social media posts, and earlier in my blogging, that people should not read the Bible. It is confusing, it has messages to specific people not for our use, it was written for specific times, and parts do not apply today.

May I assure you -- you have no reason to take my word that the Bible is true. I am not an accomplished scholar. I do not have any degree, much less one in theology. May I assure you - that does not matter. Take a look at the men Jesus chose to be His disciples. Head back to the Old Testament and take a look at the people who spoke for God - how many of them were scholars or dedicated to theological studies?

Paul was one of the most studied Apostles. His background was wealth and the best schools. He had been indoctrinated in the Pharisaical life from childhood. He could trace his lineage back to Abraham, as self-described:

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. (Philippians 3:4-7)

We are not told what Paul was doing during the time the four gospels were occuring, but we do read what Pharisees were doing - for example:

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? (Matthew 3:7)

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:20)

Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him. (Matthew 12:14)

Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? (Matthew 15:12)

That is a small sample of a large number of scriptures where Pharisees are mentioned. The only Pharisee mentioned coming to Jesus with questions and listening was Nicodemus, who also helped bury Jesus in the tomb. Paul only believed when he met the risen Jesus on the road to Damascus.

Both Paul and Thomas doubted the reports that Jesus had risen. Thomas missed that first day and said:

“The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (John 20:25, KJV)

When Thomas saw Jesus, he didn't touch Him. He didn't put his finger in the nail holes. He didn't put his hand into the sword wound as Jesus suggested:

“And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.” (John 20:28, KJV)

Paul was the only one in his entourage that saw Jesus. He believed and said:

“And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.” (Acts 9:6, KJV)

Be blessed, as Jesus said, by believing without seeing. We will have eternity to see our Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)