Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Inevitable

 

That's a screen capture of a template document available free to use in Word for a single person's will. I'm using it as an example to be certain my hand-written will (just as legal) has all the right legal information. I need to do this even though my husband and I have a simple and conjoint will done almost twenty years ago. Things change. But needing a will is inevitable because death is inevitable.

One of my past hobbys was genealogy - a deep look into family history. I've blogged on that several times, and have a link to a website I used for several years, leaving it up in case someone searches. My parents, their siblings, their parents, their siblings, and all generations previous, died. All humans have in the past and continue to do so today. We've lost extended family in our generation, and within my children's. Dear friends have passed, too.

A will simple lays out what I want done with my real and personal property - my name on a deed is real property, my wedding ring is personal. There are specific people I would like to have what I have now.

That goes for knowledge and faith. That's nothing new - Beloved Husband's grandfather mentioned such in his will. The legalese pages were properly written, then he added:

January 21, 1932

To my dear family survivors; the greatest asset I can hand down to you is to commend you to the Lord Jesus Christ whom I have tried to serve from childhood. He is the only rock or foundation you can safely build or rely upon and you should love Him with all your Might.

In writing my will I could have made disposition of various small things but I recall that at various times I have given some of the children things, therefore after I have passed away I desire that whenever any child says I gave them certain things to let that be final. Any other personal things of mine let my beloved ones select time about, but reverse the old order of things, having the youngest select first, and then up the line instead of down the line.

M T Blickensderfer

That first paragraph reminds me of verses that means a great deal to me:

Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; (Hebrews 2:1-3 KJV)

All religious beliefs can be taught, from childhood or later, but every individual has the ultimate responsibility to choose which one to accept as willed by a deity. MT made a personal choice to include Jesus Christ as Lord in his own life. He felt sufficiently strong about it to include what he had shown them in life in his last words to them. John knew how MT felt:

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4 KJV)

John's reference is to brothers and sisters in Christ. Both MT and I felt the same about our children. And others that we know can benefit from the love of God Jesus taught, the Apostles who saw/heard Him wrote about, and the people we know who serve Him in our world today.

I cannot prove to anyone what I accept on faith, but I read Hebrews chapter 11 and I can see faith lived in people who carried it through millennia. A study of historial references confirm a great deal of both the Old and New Testament, but it still comes down to faith:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV)

Christians cannot be truthful in boasting of their works. There is a marvelous combination:

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. (James 2:17-19 KJV)

Neither fear nor dwell on any inevitable event. Be aware, and understand your obligations - one of which is leaving a will. It will help your family, as anyone whose loved one died without a will can explain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)