Saturday, March 23, 2024

Joy Unspeakable

 


I hope you've sung this hymn or at least heard it. It is joyful - and the repeated phrase is biblical: 

Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: (1 Peter 1:8 KJV)

1 I have found His grace is all complete;
He supplieth every need.
While I sit and learn at Jesus’ feet,
I am free, yes, free indeed.
Refrain:
It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Full of glory, full of glory.
It is joy unspeakable and full of glory;
O the half has never yet been told!
2 I have found the pleasure I once craved;
It is joy and peace within.
What a wondrous blessing! I am saved
From the awful gulf of sin. [Refrain]
3 I have found that hope so bright and clear,
Living in the realm of grace.
O the Savior’s presence is so near;
I can see His smiling face. [Refrain]
4 I have found the joy no tongue can tell,
How its waves of glory roll!
It is like a great o’erflowing well,
Springing up within my soul. [Refrain]
Source: The Celebration Hymnal: songs and hymns for worship #740

This immersion into joyfulness is what keeps us witnessing as Jesus' last request from Matthew 28:18-20.

In the King James Version of the Bible, joy (or a form of that word) is used  129 times in the Old Testament, and 65 times just in the New Testament. Among my favorites there are:

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4 KJV)

Even beyond my own firm foundation of Jesus in my life, it's not as joyous as knowing that my children have made the same choice to give their lives to God and share Him witih others. 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (Galatians 5:22 KJV)

Joy is only second to love in the fruit of the Spirit list!

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. (Matthew 2:10 KJV)

After the Magi realized their mistake in seeking the newborn in Jerusalem, they started a journey to the unknown:

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. (Luke 2:10 KJV)

That us, all those who lived before us, all those here with us, and all those who will be here from now to Jesus' return. We've all been given joy.

There are sixty-two more uses of the word "joy joyous or joyful"

Now I do one small bit of advertisement. As you know, I never have monetized this site. However, I will not hesitate to introduce you to my cousin, Dawn Holley, an accomplished lady who added a book to her list of successes. It, too, is all about joy - mostly in her life, along with how to achieve it. You can find it on Amazon - in paperback and Kindle:  22 Keys to Joy: for the easily distracted.

Take time to enjoy the joy filled times in your life, and remember to give God the glory when you thank Him for them. They are a blessing, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)