Wednesday, February 21, 2024

I've Missed and Have Been Missed

It began two weeks before Christmas. I was already behind in posting, but then we became ill on a Saturday, and missed two Sundays. The following week we both had a new cardiologist appointment, and I received a prescription for new medication. Four side effects hit me - it caused changes to my eyesight (which meant no driving while I was taking it), added to my dizziness (thankfully, not full scale vertigo, though!), it added depression to my mind, and we won't discuss the fourt h(which caused the most discomfort.)

The medication was preparation for, and lasted a month before, a scheduled transesophageal cardioversion - that made no difference to my A-Fib. Apparently, my heart has a mind of its own. All I ended up having was a very painful jaw after three shocks, at least getting rid of the medication!!

My worship attendance came down to our church's YouTube live stream (fortunately you can also stream previous services!) But other activities were not comfortable for me.

That's basically my confession. I let my physical difficulties keep me from doing what I not only enjoy, but what I wanted to do. Paul's words became so very meaningful:

For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (Romans 7:19 KJV)

When I do not respond to God's will, my own conscience will convict me. There is no happiness in doing going against God, and He has given many specifics. Non-believers may on their own do what God has laid out for believers, but Christians should understand the sinful nature, and always strive for the holiness working within God's will offers us.

No, I don't feel guilt over not attending worship services. I did get the messages through live streaming. I did feel sorrow over the missed fellowship with believers, the opportunity to welcome visitors, and the general compliance with:

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10:23-25 KJV)

I do miss that exhortation that comes with fellowshipping with Christians. I'll be doing that this coming Saturday with our Outreach program. I've mentioned it before - members will do a wide variety of contacting people new to our community, those who have visited, members who may be ill and unable to attend (yes, I was contacted by a number of members while home bound), with letters and personal visits.

Then Monday there will be a prayer time for submitted prayer requests. Those who are able will join in pray by physically attending or through Zoom connections. When I was ill, I knew my name was on people's lips and their lists. I have several that are on my prayer list - and more that come to mind as God places them on my heart.

We do it out of love. Especially our "salvation" lists - the names of people who have specifically stated they do not believe in God, or who question the need for salvation, or have questions about how to be saved, or those who do not understand much of the terminology Christians use.

If any reader has a need for prayer, feel free to place it here anonymously. The same for explanations of terminology, specific Bible verses, or general questions. No, I don't know it all, but you'd be surprised at the number of people in our congregation who are Bible scholars and don't mind requests. Feel free to join in at any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)