Monday, August 28, 2023

Do You Have A Testimony?

 

"Saint Paul Writing His Epistles" by Valentin de Boulogne

That "testimony" is a Christian word that sometimes non-Christians aren't certain what it means. So today's blog is sort of a background, along with one of the best examples of a personal testimony to what Christ did in one man's life. I've never heard of anyone actually matching Paul's conversion experience, but some appear to have come close. Let's begin with a bit of background.

If you want the full background, read the Book of Acts in the New Testament. For this particular situation, we need to start in Acts 21:1 when Paul journeys to Jerusalem. Didn't take long for his former co-workers to be offended by his words. I won't go into them, because they'll be repeated later. When the Jewish leaders beat Paul, the Chief Captain brought soldiers and centurions to break up the crowd. This wasn't settled by Acts 23, when men planned to kill Paul, and Paul was sent to the Roman governor, Felix, for addditional protection in Caeserea. Acts 24 gives the the crimes Paul has commited, beginning with verse 5 where the high priest says, "For we have found the man a pestilent fellow." 

Felix and his wife heard from Paul "concerning the faith in Christ" and "Felix trembled," but waited another two years, when Festus came as governor and Paul was still in prison. When Festus considered sending Paul back to Jerusalem and stand trial before the Jewish council there, Paul appealed to Rome. Nothing changed, even when King Agrippa came to Caeserea. The way Matthew Henry describes it:

Agrippa was the most honourable person in the assembly, having the title of king bestowed upon him, though otherwise having only the power of other governors under the emperor, and, though not here superior, yet senior, to Festus; and therefore, Festus having opened the cause, Agrippa, as the mouth of the court, intimates to Paul a licence given him to speak for himself, ... This was a favour which the Jews would not allow him, or not without difficulty; but Agrippa freely gives it to him.

 Paul begins his testimony to King Agrippa with his own background.

And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews. Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities. (Acts 26:6-11 KJV)

It's not a bad way to confess that we are all sinners. Later Paul admits he was the chief of sinners in 1 Timothy 1:15. Then Paul got down to the serious business of explaining to King Agrippa how he became a Christian. That's a necessity in any Christian's testimony:

At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (Acts 26:13-18 KJV)

Paul literally saw the light of the world, and heard Jesus, risen from the dead. The risen Messiah, whose followers Paul was sending to death, had called him to turn them from darkness to light - for the forgiveness of their sins. This is the gospel message that Paul preached to everyone, just as Peter did, and the other disciples. Those who heard them either believed, denied, or answered as King Agrippa did:

Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. (Acts 26:28 KJV)

That can happen to any Christian who is following God's plan of sharing the good news that we have a risen savior. Once you've given your own testimony, there are many responses people can give. When it is neither yes, nor no, as Paul heard from Agrippa, it's a good testimony to use Paul's response to King Agrippa:

And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds. (Acts 26:29 KJV)

Paul, and I, and others who give their testimony, do so to share the good news message in order for people to have the opportunity to choose life, eternally. That's what Jesus offered, that's what we offer through Him because we believe His promises:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:20 KJV)

Now - do you have a testimony about your relationship with Christ that you are willing to share with others?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)