Wednesday, March 9, 2022

What Does Our Nation Need?


There we are, but you can't tell what is "us" by lines on this picture. Nations for millenia have defined lines and created areas under specific governing criteria. There is no way to discern from this photo where the 50 states of the United States of America are, but they do exist.

At the time Christ lived here on earth, it was Rome that defined the area around Jerusalem. No thought was given to land unseen by Rome, but if Rome saw land, the governing entity determined to invade, and proceeded to do so. Greeks had done that before. Babylon, Egypt, Persia, and a multitude of others did the same. Saul, David, and his descendants, did the same - sometimes they won, often they did not. 

Look through the New Testament and you'll only find one instance where Jesus mentioned Rome government:

Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. (Matthew 22:17-21 KJV)

Jesus came for individuals. He called His disciples, knew them by name - even the ones that heard of Him and came to see if what they heard was true:

And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see. Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel. Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man. (John 1:46-51 KJV)

Go ahead, think about what God knows about you, your family, your friends, your government. He knows and can use them, even when that government doesn't believe. That is shown over and over again in the Old Testament. God also allows governments to do horrible things. Wars in our lifetime makes that obvious. What Hitler did has become unspeakable - except when one ideology wants to defame another - and we wonder "Why?" I cannot begin to understand.

However, one thing changed in the Middle East that was prophesized for multiple millenia. Remember, I use the verses that speak to me - there are many, many more and if you search you will find them. Hopefully, you will also find the God who inspired them:

Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life. Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west; I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth; Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him. Bring forth the blind people that have eyes, and the deaf that have ears. Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and shew us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is truth. Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. (Isaiah 43:4-11 KJV)

From being taken by Rome, Israel served other governments for two thousand years, until being recognized as a sovereign nation again in 1948. From other nations came Jews to inhabit Israel. From Sar-El Tours & Conferences:

There were only about 40,000 Jewish people in what was known as Palestine at the turn of the twentieth century. By 1948, when Israel declared their independence and statehood, there were about 500,000. Today there are about 7 million and the number is still growing. 

We were not chosen to be a part of that return, but Christians are to be an example of God's love for everyone. Jesus came to bring individuals to God, not countries. The Beautitudes are for individuals, not countries. God allows rulers:

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. (Romans 13:1, 7  KJV)

God used that same criteria for Sodom. Read Genesis 18:17-33 to see how Abraham prayed to God for the city to be spared, and God was willing. Then read:

The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar. Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground. (Genesis 19:23-25 KJV)

Lot - apparently the only righteous man in Sodom - had protected angels and had God's permission to flee to safety. No one else did when brimstone and fire ... overthrew those cities

What does our nation need? People who love God, will serve Him, and share Him with others. That part is simple and it is timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)