Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Walking With God

 

Dog Walk, Bandon, Oregon

As I looked for a graphic to fit today’s subject, I looked at pages and pages in Commons, this one spoke to me before I read the caption and noticed the two dogs. Sometimes a walk alone does give us time to reflect upon our relationship with God.

The theme for this post came to me as I was dozing off. I used my Echo to tell Alexa to remind me in the morning about those who walked with God. Ridiculous, of course, if this was to be the theme, God Himself would remind me.

I do spend time at night and in the morning with God, even before considering what I might get from His word. At times, my conscience speaks of things that I do need to discuss with Him. I do not wish to hide as Adam and Eve did:

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. (Genesis 3:6-8 KJV)

I cannot explain “the voice of the Lord God,” but I understand why Adam and his wife would hide themselves. That much I’ve felt as regrets were on my mind. Regrets from my own actions. When I do think of voice, I think of words, which brings to mind a verse I’ve used often:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. (John 1:1-2 KJV)

Two verses mention another man walking with God:

And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him. (Genesis 5:21-24 KJV)

Those are all the verses about Enoch. We have no biblical information about his life, except he begat Methuselah, and was the grandfather of Noah. We do know from two of the verses that Enoch walked with God.

While we don’t know about Enoch’s father Jared, nor his son Methuselah, but the Bible does tell us about Noah:

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God. (Genesis 6:8-9 KJV)

In the eleventh chapter of Hebrews we learn a bit more of Enoch:

By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. (Hebrews 11:5 KJV)

We also learn that God expects us to come to Him believing:

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6 KJV)

The chapter has many verses that begin “By faith,” then names a person who lived his faith in God. In Hebrews 11:4 we find that those included in the Old Testament as being righteous have God, through His inspired word giving testimony to their righteousness, and though they are dead, they still testify about God’s closeness in their lives.

The book of Micah is also inspired by God, and I love this verse:

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:8 KJV)

We may not be judged by, but we are certainly known by the people we have in our lives. Outside of family, we identify them as “My friend . . .” and we testify to the times we spend with them, where we go, what we do, and the pleasure it gives us. This Friday I’ll have lunch with a lady I met at our church. She lives in the northwest corner of another state, but when we comes, I will enjoy her company and mention to others that we had lunch. That’s a testimony to our friendship.

I do the same with our God. Through the workings of the Holy Spirit He provided as our Comforter when Jesus ascended, I do walk with His word as a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105) and I use His word that I might not sin. (Psalm 119:11.)

Psalm 199 is an awesome study on its own. No other verse/book in the Bible was written as an acrostic poem. For each of the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet there are eight verses. With so much available to read, there is no end to the opportunities to seek God through His word. Sometimes it’s a little difficult to end a blog, though! There are good times walking through God’s word with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)