Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Create In Me A Clean Heart



Psalm 51:10-13 provide the words for this hymn, just as read out of the King James Version of the Bible. However, I suggest you read the entire Psalm 51 for a larger perspective, and the whole story of King David for the full background of who he was and why it was written. A quick review lets us know it was after the lust created by watching Bathsheba across the rooftops, their affair, the death of her husband, the birth, and death, of their child. Against whom did David sin?

For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. (Psalms 51:3-4 KJV)

Too often we don’t acknowledge that our sinfulness is against God’s nature, not  just the person(s) we’ve hurt. We may feel sufficient guilt to apologize when we’ve hurt someone’s feelings, and we may remember not to do that again. But what does it take to become right with God? That’s what David was seeking as he wrote this Psalm.

For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Psalms 51:16-17 KJV)

David knew what a prophet would later write to us:

Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Micah 6:7-8 KJV)

For those of us who have a relationship with God, it does not matter what we offer Him – service to him, money in our bank, giving up material goods, breaking harmful relationships – unless we also are willing to give up ourselves to His promises for our lives.  Promises – not punishments. Promises to forgive us for what happened before we returned to walk humbly with Him. Promises to lift our burdens, just as His son said:

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30 KJV)

That theme runs through the Bible, written by a number of men, hundreds of years apart, without change by the inspiration of God himself:

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones. (Isaiah 57:15 KJV)

For those who wonder if there is a God, take time to ask Him yourself. There will come a time when He will not answer, please do not wait until then to seek Him:

Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: (Isaiah 55:6 KJV)

On a side note - This  musical score is the one that helped me memorize this particular scripture. We sang it when I was in the youth choir at Immanuel Baptist Church in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Even now, as it runs through my mind, I hear the echo of the bass after we sang "Create in me a clean heart, O God." I use it now as part of my regular prayer sessions, coming before our Father with a human heart that has failed Him in a number of ways. I depend regularly upon His promise of forgiveness, so much greater than even that of earthly parents. I pray for my readers that they, too, understand that forgiveness and accept His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)