Saturday, August 4, 2018

To What Church Do You Belong?

FirstBaptistChurchofCottondale
That’s how I see my church just before I turn in to the parking lot. The large building on your right is our sanctuary, where we hold our worship services and assemble as a congregation for other meetings. The left wing with the lower roofline contains our nursery and “old” Fellowship Hall. Far left is a tiny bit of our “new” Fellowship Hall and Gymnasium building which holds our youth Sunday School classrooms. The memory garden in front offers a great spot to sit early morning and late evening, enjoying the quiet of a country churchyard. I’m comfortable in this  physical location.

I think of it when someone asked: “To what church do you belong?” and I easily answer: “First Baptist Cottondale. Where’s your membership?” But, that’s not my headline question. I’m referencing biblical chapters (Revelation 2-3) where Christ is addressing specific churches:

Ephesus - good review, but there is a problem:

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. (Revelation 2:4 KJV)

Smyrna - which only hears good things, though problems are encountered:

Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. (Revelation 2:10 KJV)

Pergamum - holding fast, not denying their faith, but again, there are problems and a promise:

Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. (Revelation 2:16 KJV)

Thyatira - their last is more than the first, but they did allow a false teacher and are requested to:

But that which ye have already hold fast till I come. (Revelation 2:25 KJV)

Sardis - that has a name of life, but is dead. Their works have not found to be perfect, but they did receive a promise:

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. (Revelation 3:5 KJV)

Philadelphia - (at last - a name familiar to Americans!) a church that has a little strength, kept His word and did not deny his name. Here's a beautiful promise:

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. (Revelation 3:10 KJV)

Laodicea - neither hot or cold, to be spewed out. Here is an action on Christ's part:

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20 KJV)


These verses are taught as stages of the whole church membership through the ages. I’m wondering which church’s description matches the churches people attend, as I attend FBCC. Where would you place the spiritual health of the church where you attend? Do you belong there? If so, are you adding to the spiritual growth of the congregation? If not, where should you attend – and how do you find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)