Friday, November 4, 2016

Memories

bedsidetable

My husband completed our bedside tables, but I want to point out the little box setting on the left of the table. Here’s a closer look with it open:

CastleScripturePicker

Each tiny cylinder is a printed scripture, held by a blue paper band, picked up by the plastic pick that is holding one in the lid. My mother bought this sometime in the mid-1950’s. As good as it looks, it’s been well used – back then, and much more recently. From the upper right of the tray, you can tell there are some cylinders missing – the blue bands are in the tray, but the verses are missing.

No, I can’t tell you which ones are missing, but I have decided to print out four of my favorite verses and fit them into this case to use for another 60+ years. Well – obviously I won’t be using it that long, but (thanks be to our Lord!) I have children, grandchildren and great-grands that look to their Bible for inspirations and answers. There are verses to help in a wide range of situations.

Our ladies missions group put together 2.5” square booklets that include some of these questions and biblical answers you have to click to read (or look up in a Bible – excellent suggestion!):
You Say  /  The Bible says:
I'm alone

I'm afraid

I'm too tired

I can't go on

I can't forgive myself

I am unlovable

I don't have answers

It's not worth it

I can't do it


You see my problem? Every one of those verses would be good – but how about:

And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. (1 John 1:4 KJV)

But then I really like:

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4 KJV)

There’s the real reason all of the Bible – and my blog – were written:

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13 KJV)

Yes – that is absolutely why I share Bible verses in the first place - but it's a bit long for a tiny piece of paper.

Once you have looked at a verse take time to read around it to know if it has been used correctly, in context and that it means exactly what it appears to say. If it is out of context, find out what being in context is and how that applies to our lives today.

That’s good Bible reading. Please, take a few moments to apply the Bible study. I’ll take a few more moments in memories – those where we used the little scripture box decades ago as I began learning what the Bible meant to others. Later, I came to understand what it means to me. What does it mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)