Monday, January 4, 2016

How To Read . . .


Can't read the small print? Just click on the link and you'll be taken to a blog page that lists information on YouVerson Bible reading plans. I like it for several reasons. Three years ago I read through the Bible chronologically - meshing verses together to get the feel of time passing in history.

This year I started a different chronological Bible plan - reading the books in the order they were written. Slightly different, but every verse will be the same as I've read before when I read the Bible through and when I read verses one at a time, chapter at a time, book at a time or themes of multiple verses.

Several people I know have started plans. So far, each remains on schedule. But - the percentages probably are low for completions. Somewhere I read that Genesis chapters 1, 2 and 3 are the most read - before people stop. I have been one of those before, but once I completed it once, it gave me a deeper love for God's word.

It can be a stumbling block, from the very first verse:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

God is the theme throughout the Bible. Reading the book doesn't make much sense for those who cannot accept a Creator capable of creating the entire universe - and retaining an interest in His creation. I do not find that a problem.

I believe He is absolutely capable of creation, and this book tells of many instances across generation after generation where He worked directly with His people. There are many who failed to following His teachings, so there are examples of consequences from those failures. Those are examples to study to understand the failures, and not repeat them.

There are phrases in this book - the 400 year old King James Version -  that we use in English daily today. No - I'm not  including those here. You can Google for them, or simply read the Bible and recognize them as they occur.

For me, the best verse remains one children learn in church early in life:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Regular readers know that I could put page after page of verses that have had deep meaning in my life. My prayer is that this will encourage someone to pick a Bible reading plan and read through this coming year. It doesn't take as long as you think, really. And some of the apps will read the verses to you. One year I listened to the verses as I fell asleep. I know, that's not the best way to get the meaning and understand the message, but it certainly was comforting!

Please leave a Comment if you select a plan - and if you are using an app or simply reading the book. May God bless the reading of His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)