Monday, May 18, 2015

Forgiveness

temp

Yes – I do watch “Bones” reruns. No, I’m not certain why, but I have given it thought. That’s right, it makes me think. Recently I heard the Dr. Brennan character speak of the "Jesus myth." She explained that she could not accept His miracles, but understood forgiveness as the reason the "myth" endures. How sad to miss so much of God’s message to mankind, but she’s on the right path because God does offer so much forgiveness.  He also requires that we do, too:

Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. (Matthew 18:21-22 KJV)

Please note that Jesus said nothing about the brother changing. We sort of add that part in. We look for remorse, for repentance, for lifestyle changes then we’ll consider forgiveness. Remember earlier in the week when I mentioned the thief on the cross? There wasn’t time for any change to be made in his life. He did admit his guilt, but he did not ask for forgiveness of his sinful life:

And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. (Luke 23:42 KJV)

When a sick man was brought to Him, Jesus first forgave his sins:

And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee. (Matthew 9:2 KJV)

Jesus explained why – then healed the man:

And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth. And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts? For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk? But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house. (Matthew 9:3-6 KJV)

All sin is against God’s will, as David realized:

Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. (Psalms 51:2-4 KJV)

The best example Jesus gave for me is:

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. (Matthew 6:12 KJV)

Am I willing to expect God’s forgiveness to match mine? Or, should I change mine to match His?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)