Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Facebook Rules

A friend of mine has two Facebook accounts. One is for Christian friends, the other for high school friends from years ago, and some new friends made along the way. When asked why two, the reply was that it was impossible to control what people wrote and Christian friends would find the other site offensive.

Whoa!!! Did that ever bring a scripture to mind:

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. (James 1:8 KJV)

You see, I control who posts on my Facebook. I choose who will be Friends displayed on my Facebook account. I have a ‘Note’ that I refer new Friends to that has my rules. It begins:

“Every once in a while I have de-friended someone on Facebook. Usually I explain why, sometimes I haven't. But the reasons have always been because of foul language or disrespect.”

That applies to their friends, too. If my Friend has Friends that post foul language or is disrespectful, and my Friend does nothing about it, I will de-friend my own Friend to clean up my house. I explain further in the Note:

“I am not judging these people … I just do not want to bring that sort of language into my life or my home, and so I am choosing not to. Say what you want, be who you want. Just don't get mad when I choose not to support you in your actions … Reading those sorts of comments is not bringing any glory to my Lord, nor is it bringing me any closer to Him. So I choose not to read them. If they are not there, I cannot read them. I am not telling anyone what they can or cannot write on their page. I write what I want to on mine. If I make you uncomfortable, just delete me. No hard feelings.”

I have one Facebook account and I apply the rules to all Friends. I have de-friended family members just as I have de-friended acquaintances. I choose what goes through my eyes into my mind.

My friend cannot keep two lives going. That is like serving two masters.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (Matthew 6:24 KJV)

This friend is double minded. Two-faced, actually, presenting one face to Christians, and not letting the Christians see the other. I was given a glimpse into that other life, and I want no part of it. That lifestyle cost my friend a job. Mutual Christian friends witnessed that job loss and it has cost their friendship.

This may cost me a friendship I valued. That value was placed through my experiences with this friend. It was saddening too find there is an entire second life with experiences that do not fit within:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)

So I call out to my friend to remember the commitment made, not to me, but to God. I pray my friend consider James’ exhortation:

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. (James 4:8 KJV)

3 comments:

  1. With all the technology out here today, it has really opened my eyes to my friends. The things they allow, the time spent on foolishness and the neglect of the word. I too have lost friends for cleaning up my own house. IF I did have a Facebook account, I wouldn't have many friends at all, because everyone I know has offensive people on it. So sad that people care more about what friends, who are not even really their friends, think, than God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! :) I had two fabebook accounts once. A personal one, and one as an author. You see I didn't want to turn anyone away unless they were frightening or umm icky, I guess you could say. The whole reason in me writing Ice Moon was to bring Jesus to those who don't want to have anything to do with Him. I had a personal page where I would share pictures and personal moments whenever I felt like it. I was however, never a different person on either. All of my friends on my personal page were also on my author page. Months ago I deleted the one I called my personal one. I couldn't have two pages. It was just too much. Trying to be two people is awful for multiple reasons. A real Christian is a follower of Christ 24 hrs a day. Your friend must be miserable inside. I decided I would have pictures of the girls on my page, but I am very careful about what pics I do put out there. As a Christian should I only be friends on Fb with other Christians? I have prayed about this and the Good Lord answered me. How I could help the lost if I avoided them? Right now I am called to be out there for the those very people who ignore our God. I am not on FB often, but I will say that I have lots of people on there that I wouldn't be friends with. Am I fake? I know you know the answer to that. :) On the contrary, I'm very real. I am me, everywhere. Whoever is my friend on there will know I am a follower of Jesus. I will pray for the woman you know who is leading a double life. Her heart must be a raging storm. I feel for her. Oh and I do delete people that post offensive things on FB. I want to help people, but I don't want to read that stuff in the process. *hugs Grammy*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grammy -

    I consider this an excellent post.
    Thank you for the truth that it declares. There is much here that is vital to uphold.

    Job 31:1 - KJV
    I made a covenant with mine eyes;...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)