Tuesday, April 28, 2009

David Sings

David was willing to share his most personal conversations with His Father. As we read his Psalms, we find him speaking to God in all phases of his life. Some of his Palms are in the hearts of people around the world:

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalms 23:1 KJV)

We know David as beset by enemies:

LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. (Psalms 3:1 KJV)

He felt secure with his God:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. (Psalms 4:8 KJV)

He spoke to God daily:

My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up. (Psalms 5:3 KJV)

David knew his own weaknesses, and understood that God knew them, too:

Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed. (Psalms 6:2 KJV)

David spoke to God of others:

Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever. (Psalms 28:9 KJV)

From father to child, the lessons go forward:

One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts. (Psalms 145:4 KJV)

The Psalms end with one not attributed to David, but includes thoughts an words he used in others:

Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. (Psalms 150:1-6 KJV)

I appreciate David’s finding words that fit together so beautifully to express what we feel today, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)