Monday, August 18, 2008

Describing God

I am often amused at how we attempt to describe God. I had a young cousin whose parents were not involved in church. On a visit to her grandmother, she visited her church. She came home all enthused about hearing of God, but couldn't think of the right expression to explain to her parents. "He's so shiney," she said. "All shiney and bright! He shines, He shines like the top of a beer can!"

We use the examples we see in our own lives, limited though they might be, in an attempt to encompass the glory that cannot be contained. The Psalmist used many phrases. One of the most intriguing for me is:

For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. (Psalms 50:10 KJV)

Talk about limiting -- He owns not just those on the thousand hills. We are told that The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. (Psalms 24:1 KJV)

I know that God does not need me. He was not waiting to hear of my decisions across my years. He does not depend on my words to tell His story. Were I never to speak His name, He would not be lessened.

The remainder of His creation awaits our confessions. He has told us what to expect if we do not speak out: And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out. (Luke 19:40 KJV)

There is a promised time when all shall worship Him: And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. (Revelation 13:8 KJV)

Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. (Isaiah 45:21-23 KJV)

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. (Romans 14:11-12 KJV)

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:10-11 KJV)

Might be a good idea to get in a bit of practice now, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)