Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Scribe

Scribe-torahCard
Matthew’s thirteenth chapter begins with parables. Way down in the chapter we read:

Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord. (Matthew 13:51 KJV)

Yet, the disciples had much to learn during the remainder of Christ’s ministry. There remains much for us to learn, too, from His words. There is an adversary who would prefer that we not:

When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. (Matthew 13:19  KJV)

We are not being wicked by not understanding, we’re just not being attentive and coming to an understanding. That takes a bit of time. It also takes a teacher:

Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old. (Matthew 13:52 KJV)

There are more places on the worldwide web providing information on the Bible than anyone could possibly list. A Google search on the word Bible returns “About 239,000,000 results (0.25 seconds),” which makes me grateful that you’ve stopped by here and will think for a moment about the Bible and learning more.

A scribe, a writer about the Bible, needs to have been instructed about the kingdom of heaven. Reading, studying and praying about God’s word does bring forth treasures from His word that are both new and old. I find applicable life lessons in verses I’ve known from childhood, and I see new facets in verses that I’ve read but they had not made an impression before.

Verse 52 is one of those. I don’t remember reading it, but I know I have and simply not paid close attention to the meaning. I am now because I am a scribe. Though I don't fit in the first category of the learned class in ancient Israel, for many years I was a secretary, today I a copier of manuscripts (not by hand, though) and I am a writer - a keeper of a journal. This blog is the journal of my own desire for instruction in God’s word. I want to know more about this man who surprised His hometown:

And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works? (Matthew 13:54 KJV)

What He taught has impacted mankind since it was spoken. It impacts our daily lives. When something has that much affect on the entire world, we should learn about why. Ignoring it has not made it go away. Neither has outright attacks on believers. Those attacks are not new. Those around Him heard His wisdom, saw mighty works:

And they were offended in him. (Matthew 13:57a KJV)

I’m not. I’m in awe that He knows us so well:

For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. (Matthew 13:15 KJV)

May we hear His word, understand and be healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)