Friday, August 2, 2013

Different

Immanuel
I was looking for a picture of the church where I grew up and was married. Where all three of my children attended, from nursery until my first started first grade, when we moved away. I found this old one, but I never saw the church like this – and I’m not certain if anyone did. Here’s more what we saw:
Immanuel-later
The building to the left was built before we joined in 1951. Behind this corner building (notice that Second Street doesn’t even show on the first shot) is the “new” sanctuary that was build before we left Tulsa in 1972. (Please, do not do the math. It’s somewhat painful!)

I was looking for such a picture to write about differences, but my train of thought changed when I saw the differences in one building over the years. I made my public profession of faith in that church, walking down a long aisle as a teen to let the world know that I believed Jesus was Christ, that John 3:16 was true, and so was John 3:18. I trusted my pastor to take me through the symbolic death, burial and resurrection of baptism as my first act of obedience to God’s word.

I never thought of Immanuel as being ‘southern’, even though the denomination was Southern Baptist. This week, though, I heard a program we had then (as well as the church I attend now) described as ‘a southern tradition.’ Naturally, I’ve done a bit of research, and that does appear true.

Immanuel Baptist Church’s website is being reconstructed, so I do not know their current calendar, but First Baptist Church of Cottondale does hold Wednesday night services. That’s not a New Testament doctrine, but I do enjoy those services. Apparently that’s a ‘southern tradition.’  A plea to my ‘northern’ readers – do your churches old a mid-week service?

According to the book of Acts, Christ’s followers met on the first day of the week, the day of the Resurrection.

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. (Acts 20:7 KJV)

Until midnight. How many in the congregation begin to check their watches just before the end of the morning worship service, wondering if the pastor will close with enough time for them to be first at their favorite restaurant? Just a thought.

Christians were asked to bring their offerings on that first day, too:

Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. (1 Corinthians 16:2 KJV)

My, how things differ today, in so many ways.  Please pick up your Bible and check the following verses:  Acts 1:14; 2:1; 2:46; 4:24; 5:12; 8:6; 15:25; and Philippians 2:2.  The church at Corinth was not working in one accord:

Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? (1 Corinthians 1:12-13 KJV)

How far from God’s plan have we strayed? How will a correction be made?

1 comment:

  1. The original little church I attended many years ago now always had Wed. services and still does.

    Our current church traditionally had Wed. services but that stopped years ago now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)